Curaçao va. Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a solo diver Cocoview on Roatan has a large single supplement -- $500 last time I inquired.

Roatan flights are pricier than Bonaire. There is some offset if you stay in the West End, cook or buy inexpensive meals and boat dives are a bargain at $35 ea. There's no shore diving except at the resorts which price higher. No need for a buddy there as you'll be paired up and there;s at least one DM in the water on every dive. Some shops train DM's on the same boat so on ours we had about 4-5 "followers" on every dive. I film and go slow so often i had my own at no charge.

You can do the West End as cheap as one of the hostels or small apts are well under $100/nt. No need for a car, cabs are cheap and always around. The big expense is $25 for the ride to the airport.

If you get there there's both a shark and the dolphin dive program at Anthony's Key. Not as much else to do on Roatan than the other destinations mentioned but there is ziplines, gardens etc. It may really be a tourist destination in 20 years - or not. Lot's of bugs and January is a bad time - the north side gets blown out then.

Check dive shops in your area for travel plans. Most dive shops run group trips. They will arrange travel details for you, and you can make new friends who share your interest in diving

My local dive shop does do trips but they are during times I can't go due to work. They actually are arranging one to Bonaire in February but I can't go. I teach so I'll be off during the first part of January which is why I'm looking for this time.

I know being solo makes it more difficult, but it's my only option currently if I want to go during times that work for my schedule. I don't have friends who scuba (at least not anywhere near me), nor do I have a significant other (who either scubas or doesn't). Solo traveling usually isn't an issue but since I need a buddy to scuba it is presenting extra challenges. Before I got certified, I had been thinking of traveling to Europe in Jan, but now that I'm certified I want to dive while I vacation as well.

One of the things I really wanted to see were sharks so was hoping to go somewhere where I could see these along with other sea life (less interested in wrecks).

For Curacao, I was looking at staying at the Hilton which has a dive center on site (Caribbean Sea Sports). For the Bahamas, still wasn't entirely sure where I would stay (just started looking there). Haven't looked into Caymans yet. I did look briefing at Cabo San Lucas, but wasn't sure about there either. Haven't looked into Roatan yet.

The Scuba Board Curacao Surge week in Jan. 2019 might be doable though it goes until the 19th which puts it real close to when work starts again (Jan. 21st). So I'm not sure I want to travel so close to when I need to go back to work. I'd rather travel earlier in Jan but after the holidays.

I know being solo makes it more difficult, but it's my only option currently if I want to go during times that work for my schedule. I don't have friends who scuba (at least not anywhere near me), nor do I have a significant other (who either scubas or doesn't). Solo traveling usually isn't an issue but since I need a buddy to scuba it is presenting extra challenges. Before I got certified, I had been thinking of traveling to Europe in Jan, but now that I'm certified I want to dive while I vacation as well.

One of the things I really wanted to see were sharks so was hoping to go somewhere where I could see these along with other sea life (less interested in wrecks).

For Curacao, I was looking at staying at the Hilton which has a dive center on site (Caribbean Sea Sports). For the Bahamas, still wasn't entirely sure where I would stay (just started looking there). Haven't looked into Caymans yet. I did look briefing at Cabo San Lucas, but wasn't sure about there either. Haven't looked into Roatan yet.

The Scuba Board Curacao Surge week in Jan. 2019 might be doable though it goes until the 19th which puts it real close to when work starts again (Jan. 21st). So I'm not sure I want to travel so close to when I need to go back to work. I'd rather travel earlier in Jan but after the holidays.

You haven't mentioned budget, but January is the high season in many tropical regions and most dive resort and liveaboard prices are quoted for double occupancy - so there will often be an upcharge for single occupancy. Some resorts will periodically offer specials for single occupancy but usually during the slow seasons, not January. Resorts and flights book up early during the winter so that may also reduce availability.

If budget is an issue of concern, take a look at the "Buy One Get One Free" all-inclusive special at Anthony's Key Resort on Roatan - which I believe works out the same as no extra charge for single occupancy.

We've been to Roatan and enjoyed it a lot, but I don't think that you will see a lot of sharks there. We have never stayed at AKR so I can't offer an opinion but you will be able to find reviews on SB and other online sites.

I think that some of the cheaper rooms at AKR don't have air-conditioning, but the sand fleas and mosquitoes can get very bad on Roatan if the wind drops - so I wouldn't get a room without AC. Be aware that there is a 19% tax added on to the price quotes and that flights to Roatan can be limited and pricey.

Buy One Get on Free Roatan Vacation Packages | Anthony's Key Resort

Below is a link for a site called SingleDivers.com; it is NOT a dating site - it offers trips for divers that want to travel but don't have buddies. My husband is a diver so I've never used this site, but you could check it out:

SingleDivers.com - Home

You might also check out your local dive shops and scuba clubs to see if any of them are offering trips in early January, it would be a great way to meet other divers and perhaps find buddies for future trips. But if you could manage the SB Curacao Surge, that sounds like a great option, even if the dates are a little tight:
ScubaBoard SURGE Central 2019 Curacao

Another option to avoid the "double occupancy" issue is to rent an apartment or condo at your destination and make separate arrangements with a dive op that will pair you up with a buddy or a divemaster for boat dives. Bonaire and Cozumel come to mind as good options for that type of arrangement - but I personally don't think that either of them are a great choice for a new, inexperienced diver.

Cozumel is all drift diving and although some people do great with that right away, others (like me) have to gain experience with buoyancy control and drift diving before heading to Cozumel - at least that's my opinion.

And Bonaire is great diving but not many sharks though (and you won't see a lot of sharks in Curacao either) but it's not a good place for a new diver IMO, because it is mostly shore diving in remote areas and it would be best if you were traveling with a buddy.

I understand that you are interested in the Bahamas because of the shark diving, but the water is cold in January and the reefs are "just okay" IMO, although you will probably see a lot of fish and sharks. We once went to Nassau for a dive trip in March and I was freezing in the water. I prefer diving in Florida or the Bahamas in the summer or fall for the warmer water - during hurricane season!

You are likely to have more trips in your future, so I am sure that you will be able to go diving with sharks another time.

We love the Caymans, but generally speaking the Caymans (and the Bahamas and many other tropical destinations) can be very expensive during January and the resorts tend to book up quickly, but at least there are usually a lot of flight options from the East Coast to Grand Cayman at decent prices.

The Clearly Cayman groups offers small, all-inclusive, diver-dedicated resorts on each of the 3 Cayman islands and they have extended their "25th Anniversary Sale" through January 19, 2019 - and it's a good deal - and the quoted prices include taxes,hotel service charges, and airport transfers, but not dive shop tips or alcoholic beverages. You can add-on a beverage package if you wish.

I don't know if they have any spaces left at any of their resorts, and there will probably be an upcharge for single occupancy, but check out the links below. You are likely to see some nurse sharks and gray reef sharks in the Caymans, but not a bunch of them.

Clearly Cayman Resorts, 25th Anniversary All-inclusive Specials:

Cayman Brac:
https://www.caymanbracbeachresort.com/dive-packages/25th-anniversary-special/

Little Cayman:
https://www.littlecayman.com/dive-packages/25th-anniversary-special/

Grand Cayman:
https://www.cobaltcoast.com/grand-cayman-dive-packages/25th-anniversary-special/

The East End of Grand Cayman is often the best area in the Caymans to see sharks, so also check out the Compass Point resort and Ocean Frontiers dive op; but transfers aren't included and the East End is a long trip from the airport so you would probably need to rent a car.

Compass Point Dive Resort in the Cayman Islands

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do!

Thanks for the information.

Generally, all the dive trips I've seen advertised with the local shops are during times I can't make it. My dates are not all that flexible due to work. I'm off during the "high seasons" (Dec/Jan and summer), so that's when I can go.

I'm not all that comfortable sharing a place with someone I don't know. I don't understand the single upcharge for diving (e.g., if I stay at the Hilton and use their associated dive resort at Curacao why would there be an additional charge just because I'm single)? (I do understand it for liveaboards, that makes sense).

This makes it really hard for those who don't have friends/significant others to dive with! It's just very frustrating. I would like to dive but I guess I might not be going now since this seems more difficult than it needs to be.

The upcharge is only for resorts with dive packages as they typically price based upon double occupancy. There would be no upcharge simply for booking a room, such as the Hilton or Lions Dive. If you are choosing the Hilton because your using points that's one thing but otherwise take a close look at both places before making a decision.

Good luck and happy diving.

It makes a lot of sense if you own a dive resort. It just like a LOB, if two divers book a one room for ab all-inclusive, dive package at $1500 each, the resort will get $3000 for that room. If a single diver booked the same room for $1500 they'll lose money, so they are likely to charge a percentage increase for single occupancy to make a better return, especially during the high season when they usually have no trouble booking the entire hotel at double or triple occupancy.

I understand not wanting to share with a stranger, I feel the same way - but you've gotten some good options in this thread. take a look at the AKR special and also the Clearly Cayman specials and at the Curacao Surge and some of the other choices listed. Ask about the prices and you may find something that'll work for you. Good luck!

I'm not all that comfortable sharing a place with someone I don't know. I don't understand the single upcharge for diving (e.g., if I stay at the Hilton and use their associated dive resort at Curacao why would there be an additional charge just because I'm single)? (I do understand it for liveaboards, that makes sense).

Here's one example. The typical 'dive and drive' package in Bonaire assumes 2 people staying in a room, with unlimited shore diving (often with free nitrox upgrade) and one manual transmission pick-up truck. If one person books instead of two, the full rental price on that pickup still has to be paid. My point is, some costs have to be paid whether it's one diver or two.

Live-aboards will typically room you with a same-sex room mate at no charge; there's only a single supplement if you want a guaranteed private room.

As a solo diver Cocoview on Roatan has a large single supplement -- $500 last time I inquired.

Per CocoView's rates page today, for 2019, the 7-day single supplement is $200 Ocean Front, $400 Over Water/Mango Suite. CocoView Resort does seem to have a rep. as a 'dive-a-holic' kind of place; I wouldn't pick it if I just wanted to dive a little, or half the time, and do more topside. (That said, when alone, I like to DIVE, so I hope to try it someday).

As you can see from this thread, dive trips are often compromises; we want A, B and C, end up picking a trip with great A, tolerable B and save C for the next trip.

Only you have your perspective. Given that you're a new diver, I think traveling with a friendly group might offer you some advantages starting out. And I think enough of the Surge offering that I booked it myself (wife, kid & mother-in-law coming along). You'd have 10 boat dives, afternoons and one day free, option to try shore diving if you wished, some topside things to do, and the convenience of an all-in-one so you don't have to figure out where your next meal is coming from. It has a sandy beach.

If they still have openings. Call before you get too married to the idea.

You could go, dive, have a good time, and just pass on seeing sharks till your next trip. Getting back near time to go back to work, bit of a bummer, but surmountable.

Richard.

I've been to the Curacao Hilton - it's kind of weird. and Old. Unless you have points, look elsewhere.
The grounds are nice but the hotel itself is vintage 60's. Carib Sea Sports on-site is a good operation and will go farther west (better diving IMO) than some of the town based option. Their shore dive is odd also - there's remnants of a pier that block if from an active boat channel and it's a healthy surface swim out to the reef if you want to have any gas left to dive it. Piscadera is very quiet at night - downtown is about 5miles south.

If sharks are the goal - go elsewhere.We dove most of the west side in 10 days of diving and didn't see any, My friends wife is a native and dive guide and rarely saw any in many years of working there.

Hi There, I know this a week old but I thought I'd add my ten pence seeing as I live and work in Curacao and spent 2 wonderful years working at Stuart Cove's in Nassau. I'll try and it brief seeing as I have to head into the water soon.

My opinion of the diving? Both great but for different reasons. Curacao for the health of the reef, the ease of access and abundance of marine life. Bahamas for Walls, wrecks and big animal encounters. Just as the Dive publications advertise. My honest opinion is that Curacao is better for a newer diver looking to get more experience. It's easy to spot a shark but a little more challenging to spot a beautiful quarter inch spotted drum, and more rewarding.

Accommodations? In Curacao Hilton is great if you're using points but I think the pro's and con's have been covered by other posters. If you do stay there and dive with the shop there say hi to JJ for me. He's a great guide. Other cheaper places are available where you can mix with other travelers if you want to. They just happen to be closer to more areas of entertainment like downtown/Petermaai/Mambo beach. It will also negate the need of a rental car as the island is kind of spread out.

In Nassau, It's been a while since I was there but Like any island you will have accommodations for all budgets. One of the best values is Orange Hill. It's closer to the dive shop but further out from downtown and the entertainment that that offers. Stuart Cove's does a free bus pick up and you'll get buddied up with someone on the boat.

As for being a single diver, We get them all the time and it's not a problem. Just find accommodation in your price range that is pretty central, book your diving and you're good to go. Don't get frustrated!

I could go on for ages but if you have any specific questions then drop me a pm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom