Curacao security on beaches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having only visited Curacao one time, mostly boat diving where we did little shore diving, except at Sunset Waters I was not aware that Curacao had a lot of shore diving available, or that there was a petty crime problem there, but that is always a possibility whenever you do shore diving in isolated areas. Or leave your vehicle parked anywhere, while you are known by low life scum to be out of touch with it, and unable to protect it for an hour or so at a time!

thanks for the link.

It is great for promotion of tourism . Bonaire take note . Although if the beaches are protected the thieves will focus more on hotels . It is more of a culture thing . I still applaud the move . I may try Curacao one day , been to Bonaire four times .

I did many(60) shore dives in Curacao. Never had an issue. If you are concerned there are many sites with dive shops / dive shops with hotels you can do shore dives. I do enjoy the dives where there is no one on the beach to bug me. This would be easiest to break into my rental car. But there will be nothing in car. I have all my gear on me.

We've visited bonaire three times and we're returning to Curacao for our fourth visit there in Sep. 2010.

Curacao has lots of shore diving, and most beach entry / exit points are easier than most of the Bonaire southern dive sites. Kiteboarding on Curacao, AFAIK, is limited to the windward side of Curacao.

Some beaches charge an entrance fee, which cuts down on petty dive vehicle theviery, others which used to and now no longer do have LOTS of broken glass and cars that drive up, you see someone in the car sending a text message, then drive off (saw 3 such cars gearing up at Director's Bay in Summer 2009 - there used to be an entrance fee but not any more.)

We have escaped unharmed at all Bonaire and Curacao dive sites we've visited. We've left nothing of value in the rental trucks we've used on both spots, but we also leave the doors locked and windows rolled up as per rental vehicle insurance requirements.

We'll add these dive sites with security guards to the list of spots to visit on our next Curacao trip!

WWD:
Bad move on the so-called "insurance requirements".
Proper techniques is nothing of value in vehicle, all doors unlocked, windows partly or mostly down, depending on rain perhaps.
Key to vehicle is with you u/w.
This is well-worn proper technique on BON/CUR...

never had a problem, so my empirical experience base is different than the 'common precautions.

This with 3 trips to each of these islands = not a fluke.

I like the AMEX Premium vehicle rental insurance that has ZERO deductible and is only $24.95 total per rental, from a business that primarily rents vehicles.

YMMV, but we've 'been there, done that, multiple times no issues', and we WOULD have been covered had there been 'issues'.

Keys are ALWAYS with us U/W, as well as a Surfsafe with a few bucks, my driver's license, etc.

I wear contact lenses and have a cheap pair of 'cheaters' on such trips.

Back
Top Bottom