Curacao questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pegger

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm heading to Curacao at the end of Jan and will be staying at the Sunscapes Curacao. The on site dive shop is Ocean Encounters Curacao Padi Scuba Diving - Ocean Encounters Curacao
It's my first time to Curacao and I would like to dive the best Curacao has to offer so my question is, from what they have to offer, what is the best? Is it worth going to Klein Curacao? Is the Mushroom forest a must see, or is the animal encounter good? I would like to dive all these sites but I'm traveling with a wife that doesn't dive and a bunch of family members (non divers) so it's not just a diving vacation. I also read that the "house" reef is also pretty good so I'll be shore diving at least once a day.

Regards,
Steve

My wife doesn't dive, nor do my two children. Family trips to places like Hawaii or Cayman Islands can be difficult to dive, since diving there usually means being gone before they wake up and being absent for 2/3rds of a day out on a boat. One of our favorite family vacation spots is Curacao. Been there three times, and will be back many more. With plentiful shore diving, most of which can be done from some of the islands nicest beaches, I'm able to get a fair bit of diving in on a "non-diving" family vacation. Goes like this...

Nice, leisurely breakfast at hotel before heading off to a beach like Playa Porto Mari. Set up camp at the beach with the wife and kids, and then tell the dive op on site I'm looking for a shore dive buddy and point out where I'm sitting. Play with the kids in the sand and the water for a while. At some point a single diver or buddy pair will approach me and ask if I want to join them for a shore dive. Before grabbing my gear I turn to my wife and say "I'm going for a quick dive... want me to grab you a pina colada on the way back?" and walk into the water. 45-60min later I'm back on my lounge chair with a cold drink and a happy wife. Typically I can get 10 or so dives in during a one-week trip without anyone really noticing/caring that I did a fair bit of diving.

Everyone in the family loves "Daddy's Night Dive" at the Marriott house reef. There's a bar right on the ocean. We sit down for a few drinks and appetizers as the sun sets. When I see my buddy walking over to the dive shop 50ft away, I tell my wife what to order me for dinner and then I head over, throw my gear on, and walk into the water. The kids play "follow daddy's dive light" as we dive the reef that essentially wraps around the point where the bar sits. 45min later I'm back on my bar stool with a cold beer, BBQ ribs, and a happy wife.

Since their on-site dive shop seems to do boat diving, an alternative might be Welcome to the Dive Bus which is just across the street from the Sunscape. I haven't dived with them, but their op seems to do the same thing as the one we used: they drive you to the dive site and take you on a shore dive, optionally guided by them. Shore diving is quite different from boat diving, some swear by it, others prefer boat diving, so YMMV.

Klein Curacao is well worth the trip, it makes for a long day but is a beautiful place. Non divers can enjoy a day at an awesome beach and some great food. Down under you can see the largest green morays I've ever seen, good chance of turtle encounters and occasionally even dolphins.

My favourite dive site on the main island was Porto Mari along with Playa Kalki, however both are a pretty long ride (both by boat and by car/van) from the Sunscape and that probably makes for a full-day excursion, which you may not want when having non-divers in your group.

I agree with RJP. I really liked Curacao and will go back. I was staying in the north but I had a car and did sites from the southern to northern tip, both from shore and boat. I did not go to Klein so can't comment on those sites. See my trip report here.

Reactions: RJP
Of the sites listed on the OE website, 5-6 are shore dives. Some I'm not familiar with since they seem to have their own names for several. They're:

Snake Bay
Directors Bay
Blue Bay Gardens (if this is actually Blue Bay wall)
Jan Thiel
Tugboat

My friends wife was a guide on Curacao. She told us Snake Bay was one of her favorites - always lots of fish. The shop at the Tugboat has closed but it's just off the beach left of what remains - near a couple large pilings. Mid-morning on a cruise ship day - the cruise excursion drops snorkelers on top of it. Best part of that dive is the wall deeper around the south point. And the pier if there's no ship tied up/working. The Tugboat is 15' deep so make it a safety stop.

Personally I feel the better diving is West. Due to where they stage their boats, OE has a slight eastern bias. We liked Porto Mari - good double reef, easy shore entry - it's also a locals beach with food etc. so a good family spot.

Varsenbaai nearby is another. Trunk Divers on-site, they've recently added a more upscale restaurant and lots to see on that dive. Head south and just about where you turn at 80' there's a large (50') Pontoon boat wreck used to move the cars for the Carpile site. In fact there's some cars just past it at 90'. We also found seahorses near the ball at 40' and turtles just offshore (6') along the beach. The operator said they're always there.

Farther west is Playa Lagun. Nice beach also. Onsite shop and food options. Turtles there too but farther out. Five mins. north is Playa Jeremi, there's no facilities there. The wall along the north side of the cove is called one of the best snorkels in the region by Frommers. You can't see the car esp. well from the beach and thieves know it. Nice dive there also. And farthest west is Playa Kalki/Alice in Wonderland in Westpunt. A week ago Lodge Kura Hulanda - the large resort - went bankrupt. So it's probably a lot quieter than it was now. Go West Diving is still open at All West Apts. Just about everybody that stays there dives. I think Playa Kalki is the best shore dive we did of 20+ all week. Arguably the best boat dive - Watamula is nearby. Go West does it weekly - schedule is on their website.

+1 for the DiveBus also. Suzy spent 20 mins. discussing sites/entries with us even after we figured out our schedules wouldn't mesh. Nice lady.

We had planned to dive the Mushroom Forest. But our boat operator talked us out of it. He said there's so much coral on coral that there's less fish since they're easier to pick off by predators, the mushroom corals aren't good hiding. He talked us into Lost Anchor instead to look for seahorses.

If by "animal encounter" you mean the Dolphin Dive - I did it. It's 45mins. on a shallow reef just off the breakwater at the main OE shop near the Seaquarium - where the dolphins live. The trainer releases the dolphins as you're swimming out to the site - 5mins. from the dock and they go off exploring for a few mins. Keep glancing up since I saw them go overhead twice while others were looking at the reef. In one area we found some big Pipefish also. I thought it worth the money.

A couple of other general things. Almost all the dive sites require some sort of drive in off the main road. Out west the roads could use a little work. So it takes longer to get to sites than it would seem on a map. Also there's a lack of street signs in many areas. Kids are mostly tri-lingual so ask for directions if you get lost. Or get a GPS.

Almost every dive site has an operator. Usually they've improved the facilities (lockers, dive dock, showers etc.) So you pay a small usage fee $4-5 (in guilders) to dive there. If you rent tanks on-site they include it. If you need tanks when driving around, Discover Dive in Lagun is a good mid-point location. There's also Relaxed Guided Dives - they rent and have a fill station just west of the Airport on the main road. From Sunscape to Westpunt on the more direct (north) road is about an hour drive. On south road along the coast it's more.

Last thing is Ocean Encounters has an enforced no solo diving policy. So does Go West. And although a flag is required, we never did. Many sites are listed here: http://shorediving.com/Earth/ABC/Curacao/index.htm

If there's kids in your group they might like the Ostrich Farm. Also the shopping district downtown is famous. The cruise port is just on the other side of the bay so it can be really congested when the ships are in.

Search this forum for other posts by me. This is not the first time I've written this much about Curacao.

IDK Jan Thiel at all but Directors Bay is sort of a longer walk.
Jan Thiel is also a bit of a walk from the parking to the beach, as there's lots of businesses in that area, restaurants, hotels and what not, and the parking area is quite large and busy. Director's Bay is neat because the reef curves into a massive sheer vertical wall.

From their list, the Superior Producer can also be done as a shore dive.

Thanks to all that responded for taking the time. There's a lot of great information here but I wish I knew if making the trip to Klein Curacao was worth it?

Steve

Thanks to all that responded for taking the time. There's a lot of great information here but I wish I knew if making the trip to Klein Curacao was worth it?

Steve

IMHO there are enough good sites on Curacao that you don't need to go to Klein. That said, the diving is different (maybe more varied) on Klein. I'd say it's worth it if you've done the recommended sites here and are looking for a boat trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom