curacao question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had 3 diving trips to Curacao, all my dives were solo and I was only refused once (at Blue Bay). FWIW, I stay in Boca Sami and rent tanks from the local operator (Dive Wederfoort). I usually carry two tanks with me and have not had any problem getting a third tank from the local operator at the beach when the mood struck me.

Dive wederfoort supplies the tanks at lagun blou as well

I'm about to write a quick trip report but I just returned from Westpunt from a family trip where we all had a great time! Basically 1 diver, 1 open water (recently certified diver) and 2 parents who were snorklers. I loved the area we stayed in as I could dive while the parents snorkled and stayed on the beach so we weren't separated by distance.

I can't comment on solo diving but we visited 7 beaches to go snorkling and I think about half had dive shops available with notes saying you can buddy up with others who ask or hire a guide for the dive (I guess technically you are hiring a buddy). I do recommend for your wife who snorkles to bring a rashguard or something to keep warm. I found the snorkling really nice but the water cold (my girlfriend and her mom both rented a shorty wetsuit to do snorkling as they were too cold some days.

Hi billbb,
I'm in a similar situation that I'm the diver and my wife is the snorkeler. I only have my PADI O/W, received from Go West 3 years ago. Have stayed at the Sea Aquarium and dove with Ocean Encounters, have stayed at Blue Bay and have stayed numerous times at Nos Kruseros in Westpunt and dove Dive West. I've not done solo diving but personal opinion is that Dive West is the best D shop that I've used thus far. Note that Westpunt or west/north Curacao is great for diving and snorkeling but isolated. In 2018 we went for the first time to Bonaire and loved it. Going back this April. Solo diving is possible in Bonaire.

Hope this helps.
Darrell

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom