Curacao or Grand Cayman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jnberke

Reaction score
I was planning on taking a trip to the Caribbean in mid Aug with my wife (who doesn't dive) and my 4 year old (who wants to) so I wanted to go to a place where the diving was great, but there was a lot of other stuff to do to i.e. shopping. I'm all for votes for which is a better decision Grand Cayman of Curacao. My daughter is really into sea life, we go to the Long Beach Aquarium monthly and the Monterey Aquarium frequently, so it Curacao a better bet with the Seaquarium?

Thanks,

jnb

My wife (girlfriend at the time) and I went to both islands 7 or 8 years ago. She was a non-diver when we were in Curacao and a just certified diver when we were in GC. Both places had plenty of shopping (they're both popular cruise ship destinations). Curacao probably has better diving, unless you head out to the East End of Grand Cayman.

The Curacao seaquarium isn't a huge, impressive aquarium with all sorts of exotic species. It's a series of small tanks with local (but interesting) fish, eels, etc. They do have a few petting pools, in case your daughter wants to play with a conch or sea cucumber.

GC has much better beaches - the shore in Curacao is mostly rocky, with a few manufactured beaches at the larger resorts.

If you think your daughter is old enough to try snorkeling, GC is probably the better choice. The water off 7 mile beach is almost always calm. There are a few reefs (like cemetery reef) that are a very short swim from shore. Curacao can be a little rough by the time you get to the interesting sites.

So I'd say your wife & daughter will probably enjoy Grand Cayman more (though a 4 year old would like the seaquarium), while you'd probably like the diving in Curacao more.

Both are good choices...

Cayman has Stingray City - which can be dove or snorkeled.
Cayman has good diving.
Shopping there...other than the rum cake, not really much - but some....
Cayman has good beaches and reef snorkeling just off shore in city.

Curacao has a GREAT place for dnner, on playa canoa. It's on the other side of the island (from city) where the locals go. They don't speak english, but you can get across what you want by either using spanish or drawings/dive signs. Need car to get there. Dining on top of a tide pool that is right by a blowhole where the waves crash against the rocks - view is great. Food is good.
Locals on Curacao are fabulous - feel like you are family the second that you step onto the island. They really want to share with you their island and are appreciative that you came.
Curacao has fairly good shopping, and restaurants.
Diving was good also, but think Cayman diving was better - but its been a while since I've gone - 4 years or so...

Either place is a good place to go.

I would say Grand Cayman, having been to both places. Curacao is great and shopping is great there, but I believe the above posts are right on that the beach opportunity, shopping and some of the other land options would be more fun to share with non diver and a small child. We are going to be taking our family there next Feb. (grown sons and wives, plus one grandson) I can't wait. I am the only diver, but they are all anxious to go to Sting Ray City. That will be fun I am sure.

I haven't been to GC but I just got back from Curacao. It was great. I liked the diving we did there more than what we did a week earlier in bonaire. We didn't really see much of the island becuase we stayed at an all-inclusive resort in the middle of no where but closer to the good dive sites. One thing to consider is the possibility of getting blown out by a tropical storm or hurricane in GC. Its already been an active year in the area and Curacao is outside the hurricane belt.

Thanks for the info. Seems like either one has nice reasons to go - right now I am leaning toward Curacao. Despite petting plenty of seastars and cucumbers at both Monterey & Long Beach - she spent a good 15 minutes at the Dive show last month at the booth that had the little cart with the urchins, seastars and snails (a junior Ed Ricketts perhaps) so I think I'd get points for the seaquarium. But the jury is still out at this point - unless there is another Caribbean destination that would blow them both away...

jnb

Morritt's Tortuga club on the East End of Grand Cayman has wonderful snorkelling straight off the beach.Only a few feet deep and MASSES of life.Have seen stingrays,puffers tarpon,barracuda,lobsters etc etc.there.Your daughter would probably love it. Dont need to stay there to enjoy it.

The shopping on the East End does not exist though..............

Stingray City (actually the Sandbar which is the 3 feet? deep snorkelling site) would be the trip of a lifetime for a 4 year old

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom