Curacao March 5-14,2009 Trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1_T_Submariner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife and I went to Curacao on March 5th to the 14th.

We stayed at the Scuba Lodge.
The hotel is in a downtown area. A short walk from Downwtown resteruants and shopping. The hotel is a remodeled older building. The owners did an Awesome job of remodeling the building the rooms are small but very nice. They still look brand new.
The Staff is very attentive and hard working. The house keeping did a great job of keeping the room neat and clean (They don't really understand can you come back later however).
The grounds are very well maintained with lots of tropical plans and a nice freshwater pool.

Pics of the Scubalodge:

ScubaLodge1.jpg

ScubaLodge2.jpg

Diving:
We dove both ends of the Island and also Klien Curacao.
The reef surrounding Curacao is not an wildlife perserve or underwater park like Bonaire. Which is evident in the amount of trash/debris in the water. Some of that probably also has to do with the population of Curacao. The visability was really good and the coral mostly healthy.

Underwater Pics around Curacao:

EEL.jpg

EelinCoral.jpg

SuperiorProducer1.jpg

SuperiorProducer3.jpg

SuperiorProducer4.jpg

SuperiorProducer7.jpg

SpottedEEL.jpg

Shrimp.jpg

Tugboat.jpg

Klien Curacao was very healthy and there was more wildlife (given we did 2 dives there).

Pics of an on Klien Curacao:

KlienCuracao2.jpg

KlienCuracao3.jpg

UnderwaterTurtle1.jpg

UnderwaterTurtle3.jpg

Underwater4.jpg

Summary:
The entry at the ScubaLodge needs some improvement. There are a lot of big rocks and nothing to break the surf. After getting in the house reef is nice. A number of fish pretty healthy coral.

I am not used to the European prices of things. An 8oz Hienken was $3 a 12oz Presdente Beer was about $4. Coffee is about $2.50 for a little cup of really strong esperesso style coffee. Anyway I would just reccomend going to a Grocery store and getting things you want. Since I drink 3-5 cups of coffee an a few beers a few nights this really saved the $.

The Resteraunts in town where really good we ate a quite a few and also found a pizza place not far away that was reasonable.

After all of my whining etc... I would go back and I would stay at the Scubalodge again (Especially if/when they get the entry to the house reef fixed). I really enjoyed not being treated like a number the staff all knew our names before I could remember theirs. Just get a car the first day and get a few things you want and all is good! Even though they had to truck tanks they always had enough tanks for us!! which was great.

Diving Curacao is not as easy as Bonaire or Roatan but it is good and there are more resteraunts etc...

www.Scubalodge.com

Last edited:
Thanks for the trip report. I leave Saturday.

Great Tim!! Are you staying at Scuba Lodge?

No we are at the Royal Sea Aquarium Resort.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom