Curacao - Lions Dive (Ocean Encounters) shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Satisfied

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Okay, next question. Is the shore diving at Lions Dive & Beach Resort, where Ocean Encounters is located, very good? I've dove Oswaldo's further up the shore before and really enjoyed it. I just don't know if the shore diving down there is good and/or accessible. There isn't much mention of it. Thanks!

I see you haven't received any responses to this and I am interested in the answer too. I have done the dive that is right next to seaquarium which is right next Lions Dive off of a boat and that is a nice dive. Don't think you can get there from shore. It would seem that there would be some nice reef west of the little harbor that the OE boats use next for Lions Dive that should be an easy swim from their beach. I have not stayed there just did a couple of surface intervals there. I thought it looked like a fun place to spend a week. The OE folks that I dived with were great though the company policy of 50 minute dives is a complete buzz kill if you are getting back on board with over a grand in air as I was.

Okay, next question. Is the shore diving at Lions Dive & Beach Resort, where Ocean Encounters is located, very good? I've dove Oswaldo's further up the shore before and really enjoyed it. I just don't know if the shore diving down there is good and/or accessible. There isn't much mention of it. Thanks!

For shore dive questions, contact Suzy at The Dive Bus - WELCOME
She can answer those questions.:cool2:

Here's a link to all the dive site on Curacao, Curaçao Actief. You can drill down to any site and get a description along with few pics.

The shore dive there is okay. It's nothing to write home about compared to other dives on the island, but it beats the heck out the bottom of Lake Michigan.

That's a pretty long uninterrupted beach, and you have easy access to the reef for probably close to a mile from Ocean Encounters on down. Then another pretty long patch from The Dive Bus on down that has some rockier entries, but still pretty easy.

Hope that helps,
Jeff

Hello,
Here is an even more complete website of all Curacao diving sites : Click, and then click US flag.
In the viccinity of Lions dive are : Mari Pampun (next to the breezers hotel), The Caracasbay with 4 nice sites (you need a car) and Pierbaai (or Boca simon, close to Punda). Most other shore diving places are on the Westside of the island (called Banda Bao). The advice still is that you rent a car (normally renting a car is cheaper than boatdiving and gives you more freedom because you plan yourself where and when) You could also buy the " Curacao diving guide" which is sold at Curacao.
kind regards.

Diving in front of the Lions dive. That is not that special. If you swim through thechannel under the bridge you'll reach a very nice reef. Over the breakwater to the left Gorgonianforest and to the right Hansomereef. Those spots are only reachable by swimming out or go by boat. A lot of money for a 2min ride. There are other shore dives that are better than the one in front of lionsdive. That part of the reef was hit hard with hurricane Omar and the first 20-30 feet is only dessert. If you want some adise about shore entries just get in touch with me and I can telle you where and where not. Also where it's dsafe to park and where not.

curious2dive, is it a reasonable swim over to the Gorgonian Forrest or Hansomereef from Lions Dive? Both of us diving are strong swimmers, but I don't really want to spend a half hour kicking over there. The problem is that I will be very limited on transportation as I am only on the island for one day (cruise ship) and I only plan to take a taxi from the dock to Lions Dive.

Hi Satisfied,

It's not a swim of 10 minutes. But if You're here only for one day are you renting equipment because most taxi's won't take wet gear. Maybe easier to do a 1 or 2 tank dive with a dive operator. Send me a pm if you're interested. We also have a pick-up service.

If you are planning on just a day's dive from a cruise ship, definitely contact Hans (or shore dive op of your choice). The local experience above and below waterline will be far more enjoyable than taking a taxi to Lions Dive and diving by yourselves. I might think the end cost would be about comparable. I've gone diving with friends on a cruise and have managed to fit in Porto Marie, Playa Kalki, a visit at the house and still got them back in time to walk around town.

Back
Top Bottom