Curacao in Apr

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sujo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Looking at a possible trip to Curacao in Apr 2014, with my wife (both of us are divers) and her two sisters (not divers). Has anyone stayed at the Sunscape Curacao resort (used to be Breezes). It looks like it has a lot of surface interest and also some diving interests. If it was just us (divers), I would be in Roatan in a heart beat but not much to do if your not a diver
Thanks for all replies
John

We stayed there when it was Breezes. It's extremely close to the Dive Bus, which is a plus since we love Mark & Suzie. The onsite dive op is the big huge monster op. Not our cup of tea.
I don't know what may have changed, other than the name, but as Breezes it was highly mediocre, but with a premium price. We found the food and service lacking. You do get one free shore dive every day, on the house reef, but you do have to be there pretty early because of the dive shops hours. We did two-tanks every morning with Mark, and only made it to the shop early enough for the house reef dive twice out of a 10 day trip.
Hopefully someone has been there more recently and can tell you that there have been major upgrades.

Hello John,

Not sure if you have been to Roatan yet by your post, there is a good thread in this Forum called Roatan Suggestions that is talking about exactly the question of what there is to do for non-divers & where to stay, you may want to have a look at it

Can anyone who has been in Curacao give advice about activities and prices there, thinking about taking of longer trip.

There are a number of museums on the island. It's also great just to wander around Willemstad. Try to catch the Queen Emma bridge when it's opening. It's one of the cooler bridges out there. There are also a number of 15th-16th Century forts scattered around the island. None of them (that I know of) are commercial, but we were able to get to and explore several. Keep in mind that exploring them has to be considered to carry some level of risk, since they're not exactly being maintained.

Atlantis Apartments is within walking distance, just came back from 10 days there in september

Can anyone who has been in Curacao give advice about activities and prices there, thinking about taking of longer trip.

you mean you're going to Curacao for something other then diving?

j/k...

if you're into nature stuff like we are those would be some of the main attractions we did

Shete Boka National Park...admission is $5.50 per car...you'll have no regrets for going to this place, absolutely amazing

Christoffel National Park...i think was about $5/pp a bit of a hike but seriously worth it, you need to start your hike before 11, when they won't allow you to go up anymore due to heat...the view you get from the top is priceless

Klein Curacao words can not describe the day we had during that trip plus two beautiful dives

btw...we had 10 days there, dove on 7 of them, and could have definitely used more

I stay at the Marriott in Piscadera Bay and generally dive with Mark and Suzy of the Dive Bus. The shop at the Marriott is Caribbean Sea Sports. The house shore dive is fun but nothing to write home about.

When I go I tend to keep busy diving but over the course of several trips I have found time to do a few things. Shete Boka and Christoffel, already mentioned, are good and you can hike to the top of the mountain if you want to.. Willemstand itself is entertaining and you can sit and enjoy a beer while watching the bridge open and close for boat traffic. The slave museum is quite interesting at the Kura Hulanda, and there are some forts and landhouses you can tour/visit/see. The ostrich farm was more fun than I expected. There is a guy that offers ATV trips on the island and I have heard that can be fun. There are also the Hato caves, the seaquarium and an aloe vera farm. I have not gotten to any of those.

Mostly, I dive. I guess one thing that cold be helpful is that several dive sites are also very nice beaches with palapas or umbrellas, lounge chairs, food and so on so non-divers cold do beach stuff and snorkel while the divers are diving.

Mostly, I dive. I guess one thing that cold be helpful is that several dive sites are also very nice beaches with palapas or umbrellas, lounge chairs, food and so on so non-divers cold do beach stuff and snorkel while the divers are diving.

That's my approach, having a non-diving wife and two non-diving kids. We head to a selected beach for the day, set up camp, and I tell the on-site OP I'm looking for a buddy and point out where I'm sitting. Play with the kids, etc, and at some point someone comes over and asks if I want to do a dive.

I tell my wife "I'm gonna do a quick dive... want me to grab you a piña colada on the way back?" I can do 10 dives in a week without her ever really noticing I'm gone.

:d

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom