Curacao/Bonaire for 25th wedding anniversary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CarwashGuy

Registered
Reaction score
Our 25th wedding anniversary is next June. We enjoy shore diving and are considering Bonaire or Curacao as our destination. We have never been to either. It sounds as though Curacao wins out as far as night life/non diving activities are concerned. But, is there enough shore dives available and are they as good as Bonaire? Any suggestions for accommodations? Please keep in mind this a 25th anniversary and we would like accommodations that would fit the occasion. :10:

CarwashGuy:
Our 25th wedding anniversary is next June. We enjoy shore diving and are considering Bonaire or Curacao as our destination. We have never been to either. It sounds as though Curacao wins out as far as night life/non diving activities are concerned. But, is there enough shore dives available and are they as good as Bonaire? Any suggestions for accommodations? Please keep in mind this a 25th anniversary and we would like accommodations that would fit the occasion. :10:

I've never been to Bonaire so can't really comment on shore dive quality but I have been to Curacao a couple times. There are many fine shore dive locations in Curacao, especially on the NW part of the island.

As for accomodations, the last couple years we have rented a seaside home from the folks at coral estates http://www.coral-estate.com/ These homes are about 30 minutes from downtown Willemstad so you would need a car but the views can't be beat.

As for diving, I've used Habitat Curacao which is a short walk from the home we had rented. Great shore diving right off the Habitat Curacao dock, they also have daily boat trips. Part of the diving package at Habitat Curacao is unlimited shore dives whether off their dock or elsewhere on the island. If you want tanks to go elsewhere you just tell one of the dm's and they will bring tanks out to your car for you.

Good luck and Happy Anniversary

Hi,

Curacao shore diving is really great. I have been on the island for 3 months now and i never get enough of the diving here.

If u want complete information about diving and other information on Curacao go to:
www.curacao-actief.com

u can also book your dives there.

Kind regards,

First off, con-gradts on the 25. My wife and I just got back from Curacao. We too were celebrating our 25th. We stayed at Habitat Curacao. Like has allready been said, the shore diving there is great. If you look at the octopus in my avitar, that one lives near the dock at Habitat.

Only thing negative about Bonaire or Curacao, when you shore dive from someplace other than your hotel, only take in your vehicle what you will dive with. If you leave anything: towles, t-shirts, sunglasses, ect, it will not be there when you get back. They (the badguys) will watch and when you are waist deep putting on your fins, they will break into your vehicle. You soon learn: leave vehicle unlocked with windows down and empty. If there is nothing to steal, they don't seem to bother.

But, the diving is fabulous. Would go back in a flash........So go and enjoy........

Desa:
First off, con-gradts on the 25. My wife and I just got back from Curacao. We too were celebrating our 25th. We stayed at Habitat Curacao. Like has allready been said, the shore diving there is great. If you look at the octopus in my avitar, that one lives near the dock at Habitat.

Only thing negative about Bonaire or Curacao, when you shore dive from someplace other than your hotel, only take in your vehicle what you will dive with. If you leave anything: towles, t-shirts, sunglasses, ect, it will not be there when you get back. They (the badguys) will watch and when you are waist deep putting on your fins, they will break into your vehicle. You soon learn: leave vehicle unlocked with windows down and empty. If there is nothing to steal, they don't seem to bother.

But, the diving is fabulous. Would go back in a flash........So go and enjoy........

Hey Desa,

Where was the octo? I never saw it, an none of the dm's ever pointed it out.

fins:
Hey Desa,

Where was the octo? I never saw it, an none of the dm's ever pointed it out.

Just about daylight I would find him at top of the reef in the "white rocks". If you are familiar with the rope they have going from the dock to the reef, everytime I saw him he was about 20-40 yards south. More like Northwest of the rock jettie.

Early in the evening, just about dark or so, I would find him closer to the dock with the steps.

it will not be there when you get back.

Did U ever have a problem? I have over 20 dive locations on curacao, all over the island. No issues leaving the car anywhere on the island.

Loved Habitat Curacao. Was there in August '04. I met the Octopus on a night dive there right in between the rope and the jetty inside of where the boat is docked at night in about 10 ft. They have some frogfish there and an eel named Chester who's very impressive. He likes to come out of the rocks and swim too. I don't know if I'd stay there for a 25th. But I'd definitely shore dive there.

If you're really worried about the theft, some of the Westpunt sites are a little more populated.

As far as places to stay for a 25th... Is diving going to be primary or secondary on this trip? If primary, I'd go with Lion's dive or Habitat just for the ease of "wake up, eat, dive" If secondary, I'd check out some other places in town like Hotel Kura Hulanda and I'd shore dive on my own schedule. There's definitely enough good shore diving on Curacao to keep you entertained. I haven't been to Bonaire...yet.

OK, the other side of the coin. I've been to Bonaire twice, but never to Curacao. The shore diving in Bonaire is almost "limitless". Unless you're going to be there for a month or so, I don't think you can do them all. As far as lodging goes, there's upscale (Plaza Resort), midrange (Captain Don's & Buddy Dive) and downscale (in which I don't think you're interested). Restaurants are numerous enough and the food is magnificent.

So, if you're going on a dive vacation, I'd recommend Bonaire. If you're going on an anniversary trip (congratulations!), and are planning to do "some" diving while you're there, Curacao is probably the better bet.

Whichever you choose, have a great time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom