Curacao a' la carte

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WoodyLompoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife and I are planning our first trip to Curacao. We may be doing more exploring than diving this trip. As we may only do a couple shore dives per day, I am not sure an unlimited dive package is required. As we have read that many of the sites have on site operators, do any of you experienced Curacao visitors feel this is a doable option? Any feedback with a list of sites with on site operators would be appreciated too. BTW: The only service we would be looking for from the operator would be tanks and weights (and friendly conversation).

Thanks

That's all we did there. Either brought tanks or rented on-site. Probably about 50/50.

Some options from the West End moving east towards town:

If you get out to Westpunt, Go West has nice gear, a very good operation and great facilities - lockers, shower, dive dock. Good people work there also. Also renting from them saves hauling up/down about 20 stone steps. That's one not to miss - Playa Kalki/Alice in Wonderland - IMO the best shore dive we did all week.

A little closer to town, Discover Diving is at Playa Lagun. They have a truck height tank pickup so it's convenient for sites nearby. Lagun is another good dive, five minutes north Jeremi is also. Both are nice beaches, Lagun is a little more popular. No facilities at all at Jeremi so bring everything you need. They let us haul their tanks all over the place - we stayed our first few days in Lagun before moving to Willemstad.

Going further towards town Varsenbaai was another dive we liked. Trunk Divers is there for tanks but we brought our own there - just paid a small $2-3 usage fee to use their dock etc. Many of the sites charge that. Nice restaurant there now also.

Nearby Porto Mari was another good dive, about the only double reef there. Snack shop on-site and Porto Mari Sports on-site for tanks. Cas Abao nearby is supposed to be good also, we didn't get there. Both are nice beaches - Porto Mari will be crowded with locals on weekends - parking is limited.

Another option is Relaxed Guided Dives. They have tank rentals and a drive up fill station on the main road west of town.

Some of the resorts have dive operations also in town. Caribbean Sea Sports is at the Marriott in Piscadera Bay. I'm pretty sure you can drive right up to it. If you want to dive Blue Bay wall a few minutes north of there Diveversity has a shop on-site - IDK any details.

South of town we dove the Tugboat. Downtown Diving is there. I've recently read after about 10AM.

For friendly conversation stop in at the Dive Bus. You can dive Pierbaai across the street, do a paid shore dive with them or bug Suzy for current dive conditions/info. She spent about 20mins. talking to us after we'd figured out our schedules weren't going to mesh that week. Nice people - often recommended here.

Most of your options: Curacao Dive Operators- Curacao Dive Package- Dutch Caribbean Diving Specials
This may help also: Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Curacao, ABC Islands

Get a good map or a GPS. Road signs once you leave town are few and far between. I navigated mostly by using a dive site map and figuring out which tertiary road was likely the one leading to the dive site. GPS coordinates are found on the site pictures at the bottom of each site on the Shorediving.com site.

I agree with the West End option. See my trip report here. I would take a limited package with the folks there and then scout around. It worked very well for me like that. Also, find some of the SBers that live there. I met several and had some cool dives because of my contacts there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom