Cuff Dump Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eclipse785

Reaction score
Just a quick request for advice.
I was out learning how to use my new drysuit and my instructor didn't like the shoulder dump that I had (non-adjustable, push-to-dump). He strongly reccomended that I get a cuff dump installed before I do another dive, or at least get a new shoulder dump.

Now I know that the merits of cuff vs. shoulder dumps are often highly debated on here, but I was wondering if anyone could reccomend any particular type or make for each (cuff/shoulder). And where to get them.

Thanks!

Diving Concepts makes a small, cuff-specific dump. About $60. I have one on my suit, mounted close to the wrist just on the outside, works great, all I have to do is lift my arm and twist a tiny bit to get air to dump. This is good, because it doesn't dump when I don't want it to, yet does it easily when I do.

Others say they like mounting it inboard, like on the wrist between the thumb and index finger, idea here is to also be able to lift your arm and then rotate it a bit to get the dump vertical so it dumps . . .

I have a Sitec adjustable shoulder dump valve on my Mobby's suit, and it's the nicest drysuit valve I have used yet. Very easy to dump, and it doesn't leak.

I'll let you know what I think of a cuff dump after I get my suit back from Diving Concepts.

Si-Tech makes an excellent automatic dump valve that would work in either the cuff or shoulder location.

I have used both and honestly prefer the shoulder dump. Normally all you need to do is roll slightly to the right to elevate the arm and shoulder a bit to dump in a horizontal position. In a vertical ascent, if the valve is properly set, it dumps when you raise your inflator to dump air from the wing.

In my experience, the vertical distance with a cuff dump is often too much and you end up dumping unintentionally any time you reach upward. Plus I fnd the valve gets in the way when reaching throught the space between you and your stage bottle(s) or when working or reaching into a confined space. It just always seems to get in the way. Most annoyingly, it competes for the same real estate used for a wrist slate and bottom timer or computer.

All in all, a shoulder dump is much less obtrusive and just as easy or easier to use than a cuff ounted dump.

Of course you will find divers who argue exactly the opposite, so it's largely a matter of personal taste with those of us who are right preferring the shoulder dump and those who are wrong preferring the cuff dump. :D

One you should have a venting dump as you can set it to dump as you come up and this can give you hands to dump your BC and check gauges/computer, I like my wrist dump as I can squeeze every drop of air as I dive down and as I come up,but most suits are set with shoulder dumps,
but do get a self venting dump IMO.
Brad

I checked with Otter Bay as they were recomended by another fellow diver, but they do not sell or install cuff dumps because they do not recomend them in the first place. I think that's an odd practice, buy hey,.. it's their buisness.

Currently I'm planning on replacing my shoulder dump with a newer/better one and if I'm still unhappy with it, I'm going to go with a cuff dump. I just didn't know if there was a particular brand that was better or one that I should stay away from. As it is, any kind of dump valve is relatively hard to find on-line.

I use the SiTech valve, I usually dive with it open about half way so it autodumps but not as much as if it were open the all the way. I'm not a fan of wrist dumps. I've seen to many people come up wet when the air went out the wrist seal and not the valve.

eclipse785:
I checked with Otter Bay as they were recomended by another fellow diver, but they do not sell or install cuff dumps because they do not recomend them in the first place. I think that's an odd practice, buy hey,.. it's their buisness.
That is odd. I was there a few weeks ago, also inquiring about a cuff dump. Jeff had one and seemed willing to install it, but he did talk me out of it.

Even the tiniest grain of sand can cause the valve to leak quite a lot. That's the only drawback I can see. Stay out of the sand and keep your valve maintained and it should be fine.

I had the cuff dump installed on my Diving Concepts Ultra Flex Drysuit, to augment the old model low profile Apeks exhaust valve (which never seemed to auto-dump properly, even in the full CCW adjust position --always had to manually dump it by going vertical trim and using the "arm fart" technique:wink: ). Cuff dump works like a charm; vents expanding air simply by raising my arm while floating in "perfect, photogenic GUE-DIR Horizontal Trim". Absolutely an indispensible feature when performing the Toxic Diver Skill (see 5thd-x Intro to Tech DVD for demonstration).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom