Cuba Trip Report Los Jardines de la Reina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alijtaylor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Our diving destination was Los Jardines de la Reina (LJdR) the Gardens of the Queen. They are an archipelago of tiny uninhabited islands off the south cost of Cuba, which were originally named by Christopher Columbus. I was there in January - trips are generally booked Saturday to Friday and all transport can be arranged by the operators from Havana.

Eight years ago two Italians set up a combined diving and sports fishing operation in LJdR. Establishing it involved having the larger part of the area declared a marine reserve. It is perhaps not surprising that the floating hotel at which the operation is based is known as La Tortuga, the Turtle, as a testament to the tortuous process. The Turtle offered seven comfortable cabins, all with ensuite facilities and apart from the diving the food was definitely a highlight. Lobster every day and lots of snapper, shrimp and citrus fruit. You could pay for and dive 2 or three times a day, the sites were between 15 and 45 minutes away on a smaller dive boat. There is also the option of being on a liveaboard.

The reef is in excellent condition and there are supposed to be more species of fish there than anywhere else in Cuba, but for divers the main attraction is the big stuff, silky sharks, Caribbean reef sharks, in some seasons whale sharks, occasional hammerheads, goliath grouper, barracuda, cubera snapper, tarpon, sting rays, eagle rays and turtles.

A typical dive was the one at El Farralon. Because the sharks are fed at some sites they congregate around the dive boat and it is not uncommon to drop into the water and descend through 10 to 20 sharks in 5 to 8 metres of water. With good visibility and sunlight it made for excellent photo opportunities. Water was consistently 26 celcius and visibility 20m+ on all but one dive.

At El Farralon we descended to about 20m through a group of silky sharks. They are narrow bodied and lithe, between 1.5m and 2.5m long and move sinuously in the water. While the sharks stayed with the boat we explored coral formations with deep channels including a 30m channel you could swim through at 26m. Goliath grouper followed us the whole dive and schooling yellow tailed snapper accompanied our return to the dive boat.

We did our ‘safety stop’ below the boat entranced by the lazily circling silky sharks which came as close as 2m. After all the divers were out of the water they were rewarded with a scatter of sardines, which brought them to the surface.

“Five Sea” was a shallower dive where the Caribbean reef sharks were the main attraction. These sharks are bigger and less inclined to come into very shallow water. After a briefing that warned us not to carry anything white and to keep our hands close to our bodies (i.e. try not to look like a little fish) we descended to about 18m above a sandy bottom. One dive master then tossed a handful of sardines onto the sand.

In a flash a broad body had changed direction and the sardines had gone, it took longer for the sand to settle. Sometimes more than one shark chased the same food and sometimes the 9 – 10 sharks took turns. Like most of the divers I had ambivalent feelings about feeding the sharks. It theory it is better not to as it disturbs the natural balance and changes their behaviour. On the other hand, without it we would not have seen the numbers we did nor as close. And in fact without it a place like LJdR, which has funded the marine reserve, might never have been economic.

At Five Sea, after the shark show we explored the remains of a small American boat and saw sting-rays, loads of reef fish and a wide variety of corals illuminated by strong sunlight. It was not whale shark season when I was there but with that exception our group saw all the species that had been advertised. Not all the dives featured sharks, barracuda, grouper, rays, tarpon and on occasions the coral and reef fish were the main action.

The hotel staff and dive guides were all English speaking and the operation had a friendly but professional feel. As indicated by the fact that the dive guides were only getting formal Rescue and Dive Master qualifications the week I was there, there has been less emphasis on certification levels than you would find in many places. Perhaps because the dives were being observed for certification purposes, the diving was relatively conservative. The party on the last night was not. The rum was both very good and free.

Website for the operation is www.avalons.net If you make the effort to go check out the pink flamingo that live near Cayo Coco all I had time to see was a pink smudge on the horizon but it would have been a wonderful additional excursion. And Havana really rocks.

WOW! Sounds like a great trip Alison. I bet it was a warm pleasant change from the Cook Strait. I have to say The Caribbean and Central America is on my "Must Do" list.

alijtaylor:
Our diving destination was Los Jardines de la Reina (LJdR)...

Hello!
My wife and me are going to visit Los Jardines de la Reina in the middle of June. I've surprised your report is almost one available in the Internet, heh :) May I ask some questions to you?

1. Is there any kind of diving maps available and DOWNLOADABLE?
2. I expect this trip as shark diving. Did you saw the sharks often? I mean, for instance, is it possible to see Corr. Reef shark without shark-feeding-show?
3. Do they have Nitrox? Actually, i plan to pass practical tests for TDI Deco Procedures, but do not want to bring doubletanks from Latvia - it's too heavy. Do they have such equipment?
4. What about scuba configuration? I plan to take OMS 100Lbs BCD with single-tank adapter. All other part of config is recreational.
5. Night dives?
6. Your other recomendations :)

Thank you in advance.

Hi Insect

There is a map of sorts on the avalon site www.avalons.net look at the bottom of the home page screen and click on diving spots, no info thought sao not a lot of use. I obtained Amy Houghton's Cuba Scuba book through Amazon before I left. It had excellent detail on the operation and the sites - I am sure Amazon deliver to Riga more quickly than they do to Wellington and I got it in 3 days. It was about $US20 I think.

We saw lots of sharks, not just when they were being fed, the Reef sharks less often than the Silkies but lots of sharks. I have a few photos in my gallery (mainly p2 and 3, all the Cuaba ones were LJdR - click on view gallery under my details if you want to see).

We had one night dive. There is generally only the chance for 3 dives a day but that day I did 4.

Ask you nitrox and techy set up questions of Filippo filippo.invernizzi@avalons.net he responds quickly and infomratively. None of us were diving Nitrox so I don't know.

Other recommendations - something that surprised me was that the rum was fee with evening meals but you had to pay for all bottled water. When I raised it I was told it was something to do with Cuban regulations but that was the only extra I had not expected. Transfers and general organisation were first rate.

If you have not already booked do so quicly as it can fill up fast. I hope you have a great time, I did. And if you have the time check out the flamingos - they looked amazing!

Alison

Perhaps some day soon my government will remove the restrictions against Americans spending money in Cuba and we will be able to dive these areas ourselves. Until then, a "cultural" or "scientific" exchange seem to be the only ways to do it legally. Absurd... opening the borders would open Cubans to even more examples of freedom (as they are already receiving from all the other visitors from democracies around the globe).

Dr. Bill

drbill:
Perhaps some day soon my government will remove the restrictions against Americans spending money in Cuba and we will be able to dive these areas ourselves. Until then, a "cultural" or "scientific" exchange seem to be the only ways to do it legally. Absurd... opening the borders would open Cubans to even more examples of freedom (as they are already receiving from all the other visitors from democracies around the globe).

Dr. Bill

Amen.

alison,

what are the prices for hotel/diving? i couldnt find that info anywhere on the site. also, is june/july a good time to go in terms of seeing sharks?

thanks
jonathan

soulofwit:
alison,

what are the prices for hotel/diving? i couldnt find that info anywhere on the site. also, is june/july a good time to go in terms of seeing sharks?

thanks
jonathan

Jonathan
This also came to me as a private message and I have responded that way with some price info - the "hotel" is a floating hotel so does not come with pool and beach and those sorts of things. I suspect the sharks are good all year, the "Cuba Scuba" book implied that but I have no personal knowledge of other than January conditions.
Alison

What about currency. In other words, how-to-pay there? May I use USD, for instance?

The Dive operator wanted a money transfer into an Italian Bank and I think it was denominated in US dollars.

In general in Cuba you use Cuban convertible pesos, you can change US dollars but there is a 10% surcharge - you take a 10% hit when you do it. From Latvia you would be better to get Euro. I was coming from Ecuador, which uses $US but I changed them to Euro and then changed those to Cuban convertibles, open question whether I really saved much money..

Alison

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom