Cuba Travel cancelled by US government

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another reason I'm happy I got my Canadian passport last month. (I'm a dual citizen.) Vancouver, BC is close enough to fly out of for me....

Please keep in mind that as a U.S. citizen, you are 100% subject to a Treasury Department fine for travelling to Cuba in violation of their travel ban, even if you use a foreign passport to enter/exit Cuba. I am a dual citizen myself, and I worked on Cuban sanctions issues as a Congressional staffer, so I know whereof I speak. If you tell a U.S. immigration official that you were in Cuba, the fact that you also have Canadian citizenship will mean nothing to him.

Haha, I've always thought it REALLY was just a slap on the wrist, because I was under the wrong impression that it was only a threat to prosecute, but that enforcement wasn't actually occurring. This was based on my impression that many people were doing it without a care in the world. But yeah, $1,500 compared to a 10 year prison sentence is a slap on the wrist.

During the crackdown on Cuba travel during the Bush Administration, there were many more people in the Office of Foreign Assets Control at the Treasury Department working on fining travelers to Cuba than on shutting down terrorist financing networks. I met a retired librarian who was fined $7,500 for going on a bike trip to Cuba. Also, a man who was fined $7,500 for taking his father's ashes to Cuba for burial. The fines would very often be negotiated down, but if you told U.S. immigration officials that you had been in Cuba, the odds of a fine were very high.

I know there are folks that head down to Cuba for liveaboards and trips to dive...I wonder how this will impact them with trips, etc., and cancellation coverage if so insured for it.

I know someone who got stuck in this. His trip was cancelled, and his trip insurance would not cover it, because actions of government were not a covered condition. Poor guy is just out 1900 bucks.

I know someone who got stuck in this. His trip was cancelled, and his trip insurance would not cover it, because actions of government were not a covered condition. Poor guy is just out 1900 bucks.

Hory sheet. Can you share a bit more about this? Was it a dive trip and did the op cancel? I suppose they were not "grandfathered"? Thanks for your reply.

Hory sheet. Can you share a bit more about this? Was it a dive trip and did the op cancel? I suppose they were not "grandfathered"? Thanks for your reply.

I dont really have any more information than that I am afraid. I know he is working with his LDS to try and recoup at least some of the cost, which didnt seem like it would be an issue.

I know my LDS also had to cancel their trip. Glad I didnt sign up for that one. :)

Please keep in mind that as a U.S. citizen, you are 100% subject to a Treasury Department fine for travelling to Cuba in violation of their travel ban, even if you use a foreign passport to enter/exit Cuba. . . .

And even if you're just a US Lawful Permanent Resident (aka green card holder). I believe the law applies to any "US person," which is government-speak for citizen or LPR.

It will probably get you to Cuba, but it doesn't look like diving will be an option.

Diving could happen if that company or another focuses on diving entrepreneurs. Liveaboards might not work.

I stayed at a casa particulare (home bed and breakfast) at Bay of Pigs (called the Diver House). The wife managed the casa with 3 rental bedrooms and delicious cooking, and the husband was trained as a DM, managed the compressor and gear, and guided dives in the Bay of Pigs and cenotes.

The Diver House, Playa Larga. Excellent lodging in Cuba.

There were other casa particulares that offered diving in the area as well as paladars (home restaurants). Both can be found all over Cuba.

Someone might fill the new void...

Credit card dispute would I'll bet.

Back
Top Bottom