Cuba travel be aware even if not from USA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Based on my read of the article at the link provided, I don't find enough to form an opinion (admittedly minimally informed) one way or the other. The news article is barely more than a press release in the form of an interview with the man's lawyer, plus a quote from his employer. The one mention of any attempt to gather information from the other side of the story was "The Cuban embassy in Ottawa did not return a request for comment."

While everything might have happened exactly as described, one should remain skeptical in the absence of any additional balancing (or hopefully even unbiased) information.

Without reading the article posted by the OP, I was confused as to why anyone would be scared to go to Cuba. I ran tourist trips there, and have been multiple times myself. I’ve never once run into a teenaged hooker.

I suppose if I were looking for a sex vacation I could have, but I’d be more likely to go to Thailand for such a vacation, which I wouldn’t be. Some creeper saying he was setup by ending up with a 15 year old hooker as opposed to a 16 year old hooker? Well, they are both babies, and they are both hookers. 10 years is probably long enough, but I wouldn’t care if they gave him 20 or 30 or never let him out.

10 years in a Cuban prison will feel like a lifetime anywhere else.

10 years in a Cuban prison will feel like a lifetime anywhere else.
It is your family’s responsibility to feed you. I expect this fellows family will hire it done. I expect he is done whoring, however.

From the originally linked article:

"None of the witnesses in the case — including the minor with whom he is accused of having sexual relations — identified Tomlin in court, Alcolado Perez said in an interview with The Canadian Press."

"What Tomlin didn't know, Alcolado Perez said, is that at least two of the women at the club that night in February 2017 were underage prostitutes who were being investigated by authorities.

The two young women were detained by police after Tomlin left the country in 2017 and allegedly made declarations against him."

"The Canadian maintains he never had sex with anyone that night."

Seems to me we shouldn't assume this guy had sex with anyone that night. Maybe, maybe not. A couple of underage prostitutes were catching 'heat' from the authorities and in that context made an accusation about some foreign guy who'd left the country. When he returns later, nobody identifies him in court?

Richard.

Wookie may never have run into any teenage hookers but 20 years ago, my friend and I ran into them plenty and we're hetero females. A bunch of us from the resort went to a dance club one night. Seriously uncomfortable, as an earlier poster said, the girls were crawling all over the men in our group. We stayed about 2 minutes and just as we left to Cuban police showed up and hauled all the girls away and who knows what/who else. Apparently, they had regular pograms that were supposedly a put on show for the tourists.

One night whilst out to dinner, there was a guy at the next table with a, geez, I hate to even call her a hooker, she looked like a baby . . .but she was really drunk. We didn't look at her askance. We looked at him askance.

We saw two men that were staying at our resort, out with young girls more than once.

It's about the only way the girls can make money for the family. A bit heartbreaking really.

...I asked one of the Cuban government people I was working with why all that was tolerated in a tightly controlled society, and he said “we need the hard currency, and we have no shortage of attractive girls.” Made me want to vomit...

The sex trade is very much alive in Cuba, especially in tourist areas. Unfortunately, they cannot feed their children or themselves and their parents enough with their meagre daily rations. For example, when the rations stated a loaf of bread per person per day is provided, it is the size of a small dinner roll. I forgot exactly how much milk was provided daily only for children, but it was very inadequate. I believe they said there was no meat in the rations. The parents are fully aware and babysit while their teenage/adult children engage in prostitution. The Cubans are hungry, and they tend to work in either tourism for the tips or prostitution or a combination of both. It started with the need for enough food, but now there are the have- and have-nots and the black market is huge.

It is so heartbreaking.

If the tourists were not paying for it, it wouldn’t be a way of making money. I feel sorry for those forced to rely on it, have no sympathy for those who take advantage of them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom