CT lake diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSarus:
Lol Well things are heating up pretty fast in the lakes

If anyone is interested in a dive on Saturday, PM me. I won't be able to join you (need a new wetsuit), but I will bubble watch from canoe or kayak.

I went up to West Hill Pond yesterday.....The surface water temp at the boat ramp was 50 degrees. We watched a couple of girls wearing bathing suits jump in the water at the adjacent beach. The water was very clear
Question ?..... Can anyone tell me Where are the best entry points are? Greg at New England Divers in Waterbury told us that they (classes) enter at the boat ramp, but the posted rules say no scuba at the ramp.
We plan on going up again to dive next month.

shellbird:
If anyone is interested in a dive on Saturday, PM me. I won't be able to join you (need a new wetsuit), but I will bubble watch from canoe or kayak.

I might be interested for the following weekend on Saturday.

Michael

scubajim:
I went up to West Hill Pond yesterday.....The surface water temp at the boat ramp was 50 degrees. We watched a couple of girls wearing bathing suits jump in the water at the adjacent beach. The water was very clear
Question ?..... Can anyone tell me Where are the best entry points are? Greg at New England Divers in Waterbury told us that they (classes) enter at the boat ramp, but the posted rules say no scuba at the ramp.
We plan on going up again to dive next month.

The two times I was there, we entered on the east side.

If you look at the map from the DEP website, you'll see about 2/3 of the way down on the right side there's a shallow area. It's actually a beach with a nice big parking lot.

http://dep.state.ct.us/cgnhs/lakes/westhill/Depth.htm

The park manager approached us as we were gearing up. She was friendly to scuba divers, but she checked c-cards and indicated that she preferred divers to go early so they don't interfere with other users, and that if other people are present using the beach, she wants the divers to enter near a dock about 50 yards south of the beach.

When it's off-season, I don't think there's any problem just entering from the beach, pretty much anytime. But as the season gets underway, though, you should enter from a dock about 50 yards south of the beach and you should go early. There's a little path from the parking lot to the dock. It's in the southeast corner of the parking lot.

Michael

Thanks, we saw the little dock about 50' ft from the beach. The sign at the entrance to the parking lot said " Permit required", Is the beach and lot for residents only?

scubajim:
Thanks, we saw the little dock about 50' ft from the beach. The sign at the entrance to the parking lot said " Permit required", Is the beach and lot for residents only?

Yes, I believe it's really meant for residents.

But when we went early in the day one time, we didn't see anyone official or have any problems. I also had a local resident with me.

The other time that I was there, the park manager spoke with us and was fine with our diving, after she checked cards.

I think you could also call and speak with her ahead of time to make sure everything is okay.

I was under the impression that the main issue was to ensure that locals/residents would be able to use the area and fill up the parking lot, as opposed to non-residents taking up the limited space. I think that the parking lot fills up during certain times.

Michael

scubajim:

Hmm. I must have overlooked that sign. My impression is that it's meant for Connecticut Residents only, right? It is a state managed pond.

gfisher4792:
Hmm. I must have overlooked that sign. My impression is that it's meant for Connecticut Residents only, right? It is a state managed pond.

I believe that particular beach is for the residents of that particular town.

It's just a great spot to start a dive, though, because of the nice parking, picnic areas, bathrooms and beach.

Back
Top Bottom