CSSP water conditions 2-29/3-1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryanh1985

Contributor
Reaction score
Went out to CSSP this weekend to do rescues. First dive on Friday morning, surface temp was right around 57. Second dive we went an messed around on the east side, and at 59 ft. the lowest temp my computer showed was 56. visibility was very nice, at least 15 maybe 20 ft. On Sunday the water temp got down to 54 or so my computer said at 34 feet. Vis. was really good too first thing this morning 20 ft. or more. Looks like CSSP is really warming up nicely, considering last time I was out it was in the mid. 40's, also vis, was the best I have seen out there. :D

On a side note, does anyone know what cause craters all over the bottom on the east side? I have never been over their and it looked like the surface of the moon, pretty cool. :14:

On a side note, does anyone know what cause craters all over the bottom on the east side? I have never been over their and it looked like the surface of the moon, pretty cool. :14:

Those are the fish beds. The fan their tails and make the crater. I have not researched it but it's part of the mating process, before or after.

Debra is right. I have a pic on here of a male sunfish on his nest.
The males work hard to build and maintain a nest so a femal will pick him and his nest to lay her eggs. He then continues to work hard with no appreciation from the female to guard the eggs from a variety of predators. Finally the eggs hatch and the baies swim away. Most are eaten but it is all part of the cold cruel circle of life. :D

TwoBit

And some of those males get pretty darned aggressive when an unsuspecting diver happens by! I've got some good video of those "sentinels" standing guard duty. (Risked life and limb--and ears--to get it, too!)

They are all correct. Make sure you also look around the muddy parts of the shore line just at the waters edge to see fish eggs that are laid in the spring. You also usually see the new baby turtles too. That is my favorite time to dive CSSP. Lots of cool stuff going on...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom