CSSP Trip report 4/1/06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

khacken

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Great vis! I could see the platform from the surface. There was a big fat catfish patrolling the platform. He seemed very curious about us and Water temp down to the platform was around 65 and everyone in the class was pretty comfortable. However, there were some other divers in 3mm and beanies and they looked pretty cold.

The water level is pretty low. My depth gauge showed the platform as being 15ft down.

The class was great and I love the guys over at scubatoys. I got to use a Zeagle as my class BC and had to use my snorkel the first dive since it kept putting me face down on the surface. However, due to the great vis, I really didn't mind. I preferred to watch the other students on the platform and learn from their mistakes (but there weren't too many, I had a pretty good group).

Second dive I fixed the face down issue by actually moving my weights forward. No idea why that is, but hey it worked. We just did a few surface skills, and took turns doing rescue skills. One of the class members lost a mask so we called it day.

Well, I will post more tomorrow (hopefully as a NAUI certified diver heheh). One of the guys bought a computer, so I will try to get the temps as well.

Congradulations.

Thanks for the update. I've been wondering what it's like this time of year.

Congrats. on your cert. classes! If you had fun today, you're gonna love it when conditions get better!

I was wondering how the water level was (and the temp.). Last time I was there was in Sept. when step-daughter got her NAUI cert. The water was down quite a bit then, only a few steps on the north wooden dock were in the water.

That was before the drought caught on good. I heard a couple of weeks ago that the water level was up to where there were three steps of the dock under water instead of none!

Here's a couple of pics. of my little pond...before the recent rains and after. It finally got to where the deer ain't suckin' dirt.

Platform at 15 feet? OMG!

Well I got my certification today! Thanks to Mack at Scubatoys for a great weekend in OW. I think I now know enough to start learning.

Water temp was 65 at the surface and 54 at 25. Vis was 15 feet, about five at the plane (my buddy isn't quite up to the frogkicks yet). Catfish mostly patrolling the shore and some around the platforms. None at the plane, except for a few in the cockpit.

Well, I look forward to more weekends at CSSP! Hopefully, I can get my buddy and do the obstacle course to get that buoyancy perfect!

Congrats on the C card and we hope to welcome you to the swamper family very soon. Let me know if you want to go hit CSSP if you do not mind a third.

Lukie, that would be great! I will PM you when I get date nailed down for my next time to CSSP. Also, PM me whenever you would like to go.

Congrats on your c-card! Several of us dive Austin's Lake Travis often during the spring/summer months.

If you ever want to join a group for those dives, watch for upcoming threads.

Also, Shaggie is planning a diving/camping weekend in late May! You're welcomed to join us!

khacken:
Well I got my certification today! Thanks to Mack at Scubatoys for a great weekend in OW. I think I now know enough to start learning.

Water temp was 65 at the surface and 54 at 25. Vis was 15 feet, about five at the plane (my buddy isn't quite up to the frogkicks yet). Catfish mostly patrolling the shore and some around the platforms. None at the plane, except for a few in the cockpit.

Well, I look forward to more weekends at CSSP! Hopefully, I can get my buddy and do the obstacle course to get that buoyancy perfect!

I help Mac out with classes frequently, and he is a very competent instructor, and a terrific guy. I wish you the best of luck diving, and encourage you to stay as safe as possible, regardless of what everyone else does.

Three things...I don't want to come across like some diving Moses, handing down tablets from the mountain, but I will share a couple of things that have been impressed upon me.

First, on those back-inflate zeagles, let a little bit of air out of the wing, that will reduce the 'face forward' effect... also put some of your weight in the trim pockets in the back (remember you can't easily dump the trim pockets, so keep some weight where you can ditch it if need be)

Second, don't dive solo. This should be obvious.

Third, and I try to say this at all of the classes... STAY OUT OF OVERHEADS. That includes the plane, boat & shark at CSSP. You can get entagled, stuck, god knows what. If you have a problem, you need immediate access to the surface. FWIW, I am cavern certified(I know, big whoop), and I will not dare go into them.

Safe diving!
--'Goose

Yeah, Mac took us down to the plane for the last dive and really impressed upon us not to enter into any of the overheads. He also made it clear that if we died, he would refuse to certify us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom