Cssp Sunday 07/09/06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firefyter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm going out there Sunday morning, I'll leave here as soon as I can get off work at 07:00, probably be there between 08:30 and 09:00. I know several people are going out Saturday, but duty calls so I can't. Anybody interested in a Sunday dip? I'm gonna try out my new BP setup, see how she flies....

I'll be out there doing a rescue and CESA workshop for my IE the following weekend. I don't know how long we will be. If we get done before you leave, I could be convinced to make a dive. The Adventure Scuba pavilion is just East of the air fill station.

TwoBit

There should be a bunch of folks there Thomas because all the air at the Fire Station was almost gone ! I think I got the last 2 really good fills this afternoon.

We're going out to look for the lost airplane at Lake Murray, Ok. Friday.

Who knows though ... we may see you Sunday.

By then, all that nasty Blue Water Stuff should be washed off of you and Mike.
I'd hate to contaminate all of my gear by diving with Ya'll before then :D

I will be out at the pond Sunday as a 'student'.

I was planning on going Sunday, so hopefully that won't change. Probably only be for 1 dive though. I've got to be back for a class at noon.

(RANT- What idiot decided to change the regular night class schedule to Saturday & Sunday from noon till 6:00pm? Let's see, everybody in the night classes has a full-time job, so let's not let them have any days off at all - because it's summertime!!!)

Ok, I went out Sunday and tried the new BP. All I can say is, WOW! I'm not only sipping the koolaid, I'm chugging it...LOL.

Des came out, and we made an 82 minute dive. By the time we were ending the dive, I was down to about 500psi with an AL80, so I did a quick bouyancy check. I could stick wherever I wanted, plus I could still descend by exhaling fully. I was able to do this with NO extra weight, wearing a 3mm suit and a diveskin. This setup with my Brigade took 6-8 lbs. to sink. The BP weighs 5.5 lbs. I know some people will say that I've just moved the weight from one place to the other, but it doesn't feel that way. I never weighed the Brigade, but I bet it weighs somewhere near 5 lbs. itself, plus the extra 6-8 lbs. I had to wear with it, so I still think I'm coming out way lighter.

Another thing is how streamlined the BP setup is. I never realized just how much drag a BC had until now. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with better trim, but I felt like I was absolutely gliding in the water, going several feet further with each kick than I had before.

Des left after the 1st dive, had to go to class (Class on Sunday just isn't right), so I decided to strap on the AL100 and go for a solo dive. I did just over an hour with it, then got tired and decided to call it a day. I found out that with the AL100, I'm actually a couple of lbs. heavy, still with no weight. I was still able to control my bouyancy, just had to make a few adjustments to account for the extra weight. I think I'm gonna sell or trade the AL100 pretty soon, I really don't need the extra gas or weight.

All in all, it was an eye-opening day. I never realized what I was missing, but it's pretty clear now. I appreciate Des's advice and experience, and I appreciate the extra set of eyes in the water to see how it all looked.

For the record, it's a Zeagle SS BP, with a hog harness, and a Zeagle Escape wing. I bought the Zeagle BP for the specific reason of being able to use the wing I already had. It's drilled for most other wings as well, so if I should decide to change, it's an easy process. It requires no STA, and I used the dual tank bands I already had.

Can you tell I'm in love? I just wish that I had set it up before my Coz trip, but oh well, I'm ready for the next trip :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom