CSSP Polar Bear Dive Report!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YellowfinKunkfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
It was a GREAT day to go diving! Beautiful sunny blue skies, just a little bit of wind, and only a slight chill. Okay, well maybe a BIT more of a chill, but not too bad!:D

Vis was 20 to 25 feet, temp was 50, max depth was 48 feet. Kunk35's computer recorded 47 degrees, at 55 feet. (He went down in the silo) Oh, yeah, I finally got to see the silos!!!!!! WOOHOO!!! We could see them both perfectly clear, from about 20 feet away. Kunk35's navigational skills were right on, we found them within 28 minutes, with no problems at all. Shortly after we found the silos I called the dive because I was FREEZING COLD. Total dive for me and Kory was 38 minutes, John stayed down a little longer, cause he wasn't as cold.

Met lots of new people, talked to a man who has been diving for 40 years!! He was the oldest bear, and the bravest too (no hood!), very interesting to talk to. Met some really nice people from Scubaboard, and International Scuba. Robert had a nice breakfast set up, and a super hot fire.

I have to say though, that my 7mil wetsuit, 3mil gloves, 5 mil hood, and 3 mil boots is NOT enough for 50 degree water. I am just now starting to get feeling back in my toes.:D
6 minutes into the dive I was really wondering WHY I wanted to do this. But, then I relaxed and started to enjoy it despite the chill. We saw a few fish, moonscape looking bottom, sisco, the silos, and even came across the boat in the middle. All in all it was a really good dive. I was pretty much cold all over by the end of the dive. Not fun taking all the stuff off, but the hot shower did help a LOT!

Very nice day, will do it again next year!! (maybe with a drysuit though :wink:)

Rhonda

Cool !!! Ya'll got to do the Silos :D
I sure missed those cookies @ Lake Murray on Sunday.

'Glad Ya'll got to get out and have some cold water fun !

Very nice day, will do it again next year!! (maybe with a drysuit though :wink:)

Rhonda

Hear that Kory? You got the okay to go drysuit shopping!!!

Good to hear!
Glad y'all had fun!

I just bought a used drysuit from another SB member, but I had to work today so I missed out. I'm planning on giving it a try this weekend, though.....

John stayed down a little longer, cause he wasn't as cold.

Met lots of new people, talked to a man who has been diving for 40 years!!
Rhonda

...The Johnny doesn't get cold...he just complains about the possibility of being cold... :wink:. I had 46 minutes on my computer. I would have stayed under longer, but my dive buddy exited the water...ahem...

Oh...and that 40 year old diver...He apparently doesn't get cold either. He took the 51 degree water in only a skin...no wetsuit, AND no hood... :11:. The longest dive was a guy that stayed under water for hour and 36 minutes on a single 80...yeowza.

It was a great day for sure! We increased our treasure chest by 2 snorkels and one dive knife. I was suprised that we were the only swampers there, but at least the swampers had some representation... Zero Gravity took the "Club with the best attendance" award today, apparently "again". We'll have to do better next year...although the $40.00 "one dive" entry fee is a bit hefty ... but I guess someone has to pay for the trophies, t-shirts, et al...

Glad y'all talked me into going, and talked me into the water today.

Happy New Year...

Fox 4 Dallas did a good piece on ya'll Tuesday at 5... Hope you got to see it... Have to say ya'll didnt look that cold...lol...

Yeah, I saw the Fox 4 report, as well, and I saw Johnny's Welsh flag flying from his camper. I figured that had to be his. It was a great report, but Richard Ray didn't look to keen on jumping in with you guys! How many of you did he interview?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom