CSSP - 3/10 The Quest for the GoPro Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL....I'm on a secret mission to convert folks over to Waterproof Hoods! :eyebrow:

In all seriousness, as long as I'm not using it, my dive buddies are welcome to use my stuff....and those who have been out with me know that I'm a redundant diver, i.e. I bring a lot of stuff. If I'm going to drive over an hour to dive somewhere, I'm going to dive unless I suffer multiple failures.

Back to the hoods: I have Pinnacle, Bare, and have tried Dive Rite hoods....but the first time I put on a Waterproof hood, I bought it....then I bought another. So far, I'm 3 for 3 on people liking them, including me.

Cyp

What kind of waterproof hood do you use?

Last edited:
What kind of waterproof hood do you use?

HOODS | Waterproof Facing Reality

I use the H1 5/7 no bib when diving dry. The one that the other guys were wearing is really one of my wetsuit hoods: H1 3/5 with bib. What I like about it is that you can still use it diving dry because it's bib isn't really much of a bib at all, as you can see from the pictures on the link above.

If were to to brave the cold water in a wet suit, I'm betting the H1 5/10 is nice. :)

Cyp

Well, after uploading to YouTube, I decided that I needed to edit it down substantially as there is a lot of "travelling through vast tracts of limeade" that wouldn't interest viewers for long. I'll try to get a highlights video up soon.

The GoPro really does like to have a fair bit of ambient light. For comparison, I took the same camera with me on this dive trip to Boynton Beach, Florida, and we were diving to about 45'-50'.

[video=youtube_share;preWTFGsw9o]http://youtu.be/preWTFGsw9o[/video]

The stock fisheye lens that comes with the GoPro has different optical properties underwater, and tends to result in a slightly blurry image. I purchased a flat lens from MAKO, which solved the problem: MAKO Flat GoPro Housing Lens

Last edited:
Troy wants a GoPro camera. They look pretty cool. Great to capture a memory! I went Ice Diving a few years ago and I used a Henderson dry hood. I loved it, still have it. Nice and stretchy and works very well. I had a Bare dry hood but it had to much of a gap at the top.

Troy wants a GoPro camera. They look pretty cool. Great to capture a memory! I went Ice Diving a few years ago and I used a Henderson dry hood. I loved it, still have it. Nice and stretchy and works very well. I had a Bare dry hood but it had to much of a gap at the top.

I didn't care for the Bare hood myself, although I love their wetsuits (nice size range).

Henderson: I haven't tried dry, but I didn't care for their wet hood due to the longer bib.

Waterproof: I've already professed my love for them. If you see one in a store, just try it on. I haven't seen anyone that disliked them yet, granted my field study numbers are limited.

I would love to try on one of their wetsuits, but that is where they fail me in sizing and Bare shines. Apparently, WP thinks if you are 5' 9" and have a 46" chest, that you should also have a 46" waist! (Sizing for the short wetsuit, not standard). WP standard, I'd need an XXL based on their chart for the chest. An XXL doesn't fit a short-legged 5' 9" guy very well. LOL.

Cyp

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom