Crystal River

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Some people are putting together a trip to dive in the Crystal River area in the beginning of March. I was just wondering what the conditions were like? Also what type of diving there is?

I just got back from Crystal River. Check out my pics! Water temp is 74 F and air temp early morning 9:00 am was 34 F. Visability was about 15 ft max. You can dive on scuba, but manatee are sort of shy/scared of the bubbles. We have found snorkeling to be best if manatee is your thing. But you can scuba there. There is a stone plack at the bottom of Kings Springs there in Crystal River. I think it is at about 40 ft. We had a very fun time and go every year.

Scuba diving is prohibited in parts of Crystal River because of the manatees. Snorkeling is a must. They are a lot of fun. Then some of the shops in the area will take you on guided tours in the caverns in the area. King Spring is one of those that is right in the manatee protected area. Another good dive in the area is Rainbow River. Unlimited viz, 25 feet max depth, about a 2 knot current, and lots to see. Also 72 degrees year round.

When I go, I usually rent a boat from the dive shop at the Best Western Hotel at Crystal River. I carry scuba and snorkel gear. As I recall, you can get a boat for 1/2 a day or a full day. If you can run a small outboard it is a bargain. I always drive at idle speed which is the minimum speed at which I can maintain steering as it is easy to strike a manatee. Keep a good lookout for them. The water at the springs are fun as the viz is like air. Out in the river it drops off quite a bit. I find that once the novelty of diving in high-viz conditions in the spring wear off, it is time to play with the manatees again. I look for them as they surface and leave ripples. Anchor near by and snorkel to them. Display your dive flag as some boaters drive in a careless manner. The LDS has a video that is played that teaches you the legal/ ethical points in interacting with manatees. It is a neat place to dive. Have a ball.

Thanks everyone for your help! Well it looks like I will get snorkeling and diving in one weekend. Yeah I think we are also going to the caverns. So a 3mm wetsuit is fine for everything? Im so excited never dove in FL before. Thats where I want to move to in a year and a half and go to school.

get to Devils den,Blue Grotto, go early prior to classes then they are real clear!
Florida got to love it! ,I do have to say I have meet and dove with some of the best divers around and most live or are from Florida, Diving is like having a second car to them!
Dive safe, and let us know how your trip was!
Brad

Snorkeling at Three Sisters Springs is the best part of Crystal River. Lots of manatees and truly crystal clear water. Avoid weekends if possible. No need for scuba there. Birds is one of the closest to that part of the river.

Unfortunately King Spring has been lousy visibility since about 1990 or so. It was a great dive in the 70s and 80s.

Chad

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom