Crystal River question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jokaz82

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a road trip coming up next month and am planning on stopping at Crystal River for a day to get some wet time in. I looked online at some of the springs and they look like most are guided tours. Are we allowed to dive independently with our buddy at these springs or are all guided? Has anyone been without a guide who can tell me which spring they dove?
Thanks in advance.

Rainbow river nearby, they took us up river to the spring and dropped us. We went down stream on scuba. Went at our own pace. Other divers around but no real sense of being in a group. Water was crystal clear. We were accompanied by a pontooon boat. My wife rode that and bubble watched.

If you are wiling to go about an hour north (Williston) there is Devil Den and Blue Grotto. Both are suitable for open water divers, and can be done without a guide. They are basically just across the highway from each other. Devil's Den is one of the neatest looking place to dive. I haven't been in Blue Grotto in several years since the new owners have done all the work but have walked around it, we will be taking students back now with the changes. About another hour north is Ginnie Springs also. All have really good websites.

I think you have to have a guide when entering the Kings Cavern in the Crystal River. When I dove it a few years ago, American Pro explained that the need for a guide was because the entrance to the cavern is in the Manatee protected area and the Fish and Wildlife agency doesn't want the Manatees harassed. I agree that Devils Den and Blue Grotto are good options for OW divers want to try a cavern. The Rainbow River drift is a fun enough dive to do once.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom