Crystal RIver LDS and lodgings.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crazed_dolphin

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm planning a trip to the Crystal River area in late December. I have been doing some research on LDS and lodgings in the area but I was wondering does anybody have any recommendations for a manatee snorkeling/diving? I'm driving up from Orlando and want to stay close to Crystal River. The place can be basic as long as it is clean.

Thanks

Use Bird's Underwater and there is a hotel within walking distance, i think its a best western.

I think the Best Western is about the only option in Crystal River. I seem to remember the AAA book having only two entries for lodging in Crystal River, and I remember the Best Western being by far the cheaper of the two.

Last time I shopped for a dive operation around there, American Pro was the only one that would do a manatee snorkel and a King's Spring dive on the same trip. Something to consider, though that's not to say that things couldn't have changed since last winter.

AH

There's a pretty fun open-air Cuban restaurant on the water at the Best Western. Another plus.

The Best Western is a nice place to stay and the Crystal LDC is a good place to rent a boat if you want to head out on your own but if you want to see the manatees, use Bird. He is located a few miles away from the BW. He will have you up at 6am and on the water by 7 but if there are manatees to be found he knows where they are at. Last feb we went with him and spent at least 2 to 2 1/2 hrs in the water with a dozen or more all around us. The manatees were about to move on and we were about to leave before any of the others tour operators started to arrive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom