Crystal River/Ginnie Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dolphinfan:
or maybe we'll just see some of you there. If you are interested in our trip, call Reese Davis at Bermuda Triangle of Greenville, SC at 864-286-3483. I'm ready to go now. It's turned very cold here the last few days so i'm hoping for a little warmer weather soon. Keowee hot hole is fine in the water but too cold once you get out. Jocassee is for people with warmer blood than me. Maybe on an unseasonally warm day for both spots, but looking forward to getting to Fl for this trip and to the Keys in March/April.

My dive shop has got a trip to Crystal River this weekend also, so if you see a big (6’4” 300 lbs) with real short hair guy driving a van that says DBI SCUBA on the side, down there say hi to Scott. He manages the shop. I was there in December and November. Did not see many in November but they should be plentiful now.

Don’t try to dive some of the springs on the way back; they got messed up because of the hurricanes and rain. Troy Springs is closed down. If you want to try Devils Den, that should be an easy but enjoyable dive. I do here that Catfish Hotel is open – Manatee Spring State Park in Chieftain Florida on open also. Have fun!

The majority of the springs have reopened and waters have subsided. http://www.northfloridadiver.net (jviehe's website) for conditions.

There was a Megadive Party at Ginnie in Oct, not long after the hurricanes and while the water levels were still a bit high, the spring basins were clear as can be.

We were there a few weeks ago and they were not scared off by my SCUBA equipment. It was neat and worth doing at least once!

Aucilla:
Can anyone else comment on this? Is it true? No scuba? Is so, with wet suit do you wear weight?

I was there last weekend...

I don't think there are any legal issues diving "around" manatees but I can tell you that the Fish and Game volunteers were cautioning snorkelers not do dive below the surface to scratch the manatees because that is considered harassing behavior. (Pursuing)

Anyway, with the exception of Kings Springs itself, I can't imagine why it would be worth the trouble of suiting up. Most of the places where the manatees hang out are very shallow.

Beck

divebomb:
Anyway, with the exception of Kings Springs itself, I can't imagine why it would be worth the trouble of suiting up. Most of the places where the manatees hang out are very shallow.

Beck

Umm.. how about because the water is bloody cold if you are in it for any length of time? We snorkel it in our drysuit as do many of the diveguides.

SubMariner:
Umm.. how about because the water is bloody cold if you are in it for any length of time? We snorkel it in our drysuit as do many of the diveguides.

Sub,

When I said I didn't see why it would be worth "suiting up", I meant totally gearing up (tanks, regs, etc.)

I definately wear my wetsuit when snorkeling down there. Although....much to my surprise, as we were swimming around the protected area of Three Sisters, two guys in speedos and a girl in a bikini were swimming out of the springs! At 6:45 in the A.M. no less! I guess they'd be the same people that would do the polar bear swims in Alaska.

Beck

divebomb:
Sub,

When I said I didn't see why it would be worth "suiting up", I meant totally gearing up (tanks, regs, etc.)

I definately wear my wetsuit when snorkeling down there. Although....much to my surprise, as we were swimming around the protected area of Three Sisters, two guys in speedos and a girl in a bikini were swimming out of the springs! At 6:45 in the A.M. no less! I guess they'd be the same people that would do the polar bear swims in Alaska.

Beck

Ah... ok...apologies on my misinterpreting your post.

DSDO,

Back
Top Bottom