Crystal River/Ginnie Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

QUETZAL:
That actually sounds cool, diving in the snow! Corigan, or Matt upstate,the other Matt any of y'all up to it?

Trust me, it's VASTLY overrated. :ice:

Just got info that we are going to do a night dive at the Weeki Wachee springs (where they have the live mermaid shows) during our Crystal river trip. Has anyone done this? Is the show worth seeing? We won't be diving during the mermaid show, but I was curious if the show was entertaining or just cheesy? Any help would be appreciated.

Dolphin,

We're going down to Crystal tomorrow night. Gonna to the manatee thing, but we're also going to Weeki Wachee springs to see the show. I didn't know that you could actually dive there. That's pretty cool.

As for the show, check out their website. I don't think that it's possible for it to not be cheesy. In fact, that's why we're going. Just a cheesefest.

Let us know how your dive goes.

Beck

dolphinfan:
Just got info that we are going to do a night dive at the Weeki Wachee springs (where they have the live mermaid shows) during our Crystal river trip. Has anyone done this? Is the show worth seeing? We won't be diving during the mermaid show, but I was curious if the show was entertaining or just cheesy? Any help would be appreciated.

"As for the show, check out their website. I don't think that it's possible for it to not be cheesy. In fact, that's why we're going. Just a cheesefest."

I guess that once I read the post, cheesy is a given. We are going down next Thursday, diving Weeki Wachi Friday night. I'll post the following week. I hope you will post how diving in Crystal River was next week. How many manatees, etc...
Thanks,
Chris

Hello! We just returned from the Crystal River & the manatees were in there in record number. The colder the nights, the more manatees in the river. The springs keep the river at 72F & the manatees like the warm water. Some, but not all actually leave the river when the gulf warms up. We went out with American Pro Divers & they were excellent. You can only snorkel with the manatees because they are scared of bubbles. Have tried to attach a picture for you. Enjoy!

Hey,

We went out Saturday with Birds Underwater. Saw and interacted with several manatees but the record numbers have diminished slightly due to a warm up this past week. The good news is that colder weather they were expecting this week will drive them back to the springs.

We went to Gator Hole (just a few coming and going) and to Three Sisters Springs, where we saw the most.

Sunday, we went out on our own in kayaks that we brought with us. We left from the public boat launch located at Birds. And we went back to the areas we visited the day before. It was nice to paddle through the canals quietly and see the cows coming and going.

At lunch, we headed down to Weeckie Wachie (sp?) and saw the mermaid shows. The former mermaids were there for a 12:30 show and the current mermaids did a show at 2:30. Also the Travel Channel was there filming. The shows were as cheesy as you would expect....BUT...they were actually good at the same time. The older mermaids were quite impressive. They also have a boat ride down the river that was fun. A lot of wildlife everwhere along the banks. It's a bit pricey ($14) but I think it's worth it to see "old" Florida. You get to see people with talent actually doing things as opposed to animatronics. It was refreshing in a way.

Beck

Kali_Razzle:
You can only snorkel with the manatees because they are scared of bubbles.

Can anyone else comment on this? Is it true? No scuba? Is so, with wet suit do you wear weight?

It is true. Besides, the playful manatees hang around the surface so there is no need for scuba. We scuba'd from Kings Spring back to our Jon boat (about 100 yards) with manatees in the area. It wasn't until we surfaced did the manatees come around again. We were also WARNED about scuba diving around the manatees, so there may also be some legal issues intended to prevent harassment.

I normally would have worn 8 lbs in fresh water and wore no weight while snorkeling with the manatees. The extra buoyancy was nice. Again, no need to even consider going deep with the manatees. They'll find you if they want to play.

We snorkeled with them two weeks ago at Kings Spring. A group of divers came into the cove where we were playing with the Manatees and they all immediately swam off. I posted a full review here if you are interested.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom