Crystal River/Ginnie Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dolphinfan

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all,
I am going on a trip to Crystal River/Ginnie Springs Jan 20 with the Bermuda Triangle dive shop in Greenville, SC. I have been told that the manatees are there year round but just heard from a friend who went last Feb that they won't come around if it is too cold. I'm sure there is a lot of other things to see, but I'm really looking forward to seeing the manatees, sort of like I was for the turtles in Playa del Carmen in October. I think around 15 of us are going down so maybe we can link up with some of you local board members.

Other way around - they are in abundance when it is cold, that time of year is the tail end of the main season. They come in from the cooling gulf waters (in 60's at that time) to warm up in the 72F springs. Have fun, we just did it last weekend. :wink:

or maybe we'll just see some of you there. If you are interested in our trip, call Reese Davis at Bermuda Triangle of Greenville, SC at 864-286-3483. I'm ready to go now. It's turned very cold here the last few days so i'm hoping for a little warmer weather soon. Keowee hot hole is fine in the water but too cold once you get out. Jocassee is for people with warmer blood than me. Maybe on an unseasonally warm day for both spots, but looking forward to getting to Fl for this trip and to the Keys in March/April.

dolphinfan:
or maybe we'll just see some of you there. If you are interested in our trip, call Reese Davis at Bermuda Triangle of Greenville, SC at 864-286-3483. I'm ready to go now. It's turned very cold here the last few days so i'm hoping for a little warmer weather soon. Keowee hot hole is fine in the water but too cold once you get out. Jocassee is for people with warmer blood than me. Maybe on an unseasonally warm day for both spots, but looking forward to getting to Fl for this trip and to the Keys in March/April.
Oh come on Chris you don't want to go to Jocassee this Sunday. I would like to do a 140-150' dive. You rember me don't you I did my AOW w/ you.

QUETZAL:
Oh come on Chris you don't want to go to Jocassee this Sunday. I would like to do a 140-150' dive. You rember me don't you I did my AOW w/ you.

Alan,
You go to the 100' platform and wait for me there. LOL. I'll be along shortly. Global warming would have to happen very quickly to have me at Jocassee Sunday. You know the weatherman is calling for ice and snow. Ideal dive conditions (for a walrus)
Give me a call some time and we'll go on a warm day.
Chris

dolphinfan:
Alan,
You go to the 100' platform and wait for me there. LOL. I'll be along shortly. Global warming would have to happen very quickly to have me at Jocassee Sunday. You know the weatherman is calling for ice and snow. Ideal dive conditions (for a walrus)
Give me a call some time and we'll go on a warm day.
Chris
That actually sounds cool, diving in the snow! Corigan, or Matt upstate,the other Matt any of y'all up to it?

QUETZAL:
That actually sounds cool, diving in the snow! Corigan, or Matt the other Matt any of y'all up to it?

You know I would be! :) I just had my wisdom teeth removed and am out of commission till atleast new years. Hoping I can dive on new years, and then will be looking to head up that way again most likely in Jan. Take care bud,

Matt

Hey,

The manatees are there in large numbers already. I went last year in January and had to beat 'em off with a stick. I'm going over MLK weekend this year. The numbers are already about up to the same as last year.

Go to www.birdsunderwater.com. They have a manatee update on their web page.

Beck

dolphinfan:
Hello all,
I am going on a trip to Crystal River/Ginnie Springs Jan 20 with the Bermuda Triangle dive shop in Greenville, SC. I have been told that the manatees are there year round but just heard from a friend who went last Feb that they won't come around if it is too cold. I'm sure there is a lot of other things to see, but I'm really looking forward to seeing the manatees, sort of like I was for the turtles in Playa del Carmen in October. I think around 15 of us are going down so maybe we can link up with some of you local board members.

dolphinfan:
Hello all,
My wife and I just got back from swimming with the manatees. I would strongly urge you to get there early in the morning while the manatees are playful. They do like to sleep and timing is everything. We just happened to be the only two in the water and they wouldn't leave us alone. They'd swim between our legs, lift us up to the surface and at one point I had a huge male hugging me with both flippers. I think he was jealous of me scratching other manatees. Have fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom