Crystal Lake, Michigan - diving not too bad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

handben

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just got back from a week at Crystal Lake, in the northwestern lower peninsula of Michigan. I ended up doing 5 dives over the week - all along the southern shore of the lake, just west of the boat launch. Vis was around 40-50 feet, temps between 70-72 down to about 45 feet. At this depth there was a thermocline and we didn't choose to go any deeper. The surprising thing to me was the bottom contour in the "blue". Prior to diving the lake, I envisioned a steep drop-off going into the depths (approximately 175 according to the charts). What I found was a more gentle grass covered slope with some areas being flat and grass covered. There were fairly abundant fish including large mouth bass on every dive, crawfish, crappy, carp, walleye and a myriad of smaller fish.

I did find a fish, actually my daughter, found a fish in the grass that I am still unable to identify. It was dark brown and about 6 to 8 inches long, with a sharp tail, very small dorsal and ventral fins. It looked like a short eel. It swam with a snake like side to side motion. We spooked it out of its hiding place in the grass to sneak a better peak at it - when out of the distance a couple of large fish darted into the scene and gobbled him up right before our eyes. We felt a little bad about scaring him out of his spot. The hunting fish (I believe they were white perch) seemed to like us well. This little fellow stayed with us for about 15 minutes, even swimming between my daughter and me. I am not sure if he was expecting us to scare up some more smaller fish, or he was protecting his territory or was just curious. He had no fear of us though and would swim right up to our masks. The bass also were curious and wound swim up to us to check us out. The only real downside to the diving was the swimmer's itch. I must have 25 different little sores. Air fills were about 45 miles away in Traverse City.

Kinda off topic but isn't that where the kid drowned that formed the basis for the movie "Jason"?
Yes, there was a Crystal Lake and a Camp Crystal in that movie. I didn't remember that till my kids and their cousins watched "Friday the 13th" last week. We were just down the road from Camp Crystalaire, which closed down about 2 years ago. We explored the camp and it does have a spooky horror movie feel to it nowadays. I'm not sure if this was the setting that the script writer had in mind or just a coincidence.

Getting back on topic, I think the long brown fish that was eaten may well have been a burbot or "lawyer fish" - Burbot/Fish of the Great Lakes by Wisconsin Sea Grant I always love finding new fish (at least new to me!).

Yes, there was a Crystal Lake and a Camp Crystal in that movie. I didn't remember that till my kids and their cousins watched "Friday the 13th" last week. We were just down the road from Camp Crystalaire, which closed down about 2 years ago. We explored the camp and it does have a spooky horror movie feel to it nowadays. I'm not sure if this was the setting that the script writer had in mind or just a coincidence.

Getting back on topic, I think the long brown fish that was eaten may well have been a burbot or "lawyer fish" - Burbot/Fish of the Great Lakes by Wisconsin Sea Grant I always love finding new fish (at least new to me!).

Burbot are all over the wrecks in lake michigan. Rumor has it if you grab one and flip it inverted they go into a comatose state, when you turn them back right-side up the come to and swim off or at your dive buddy :wink: They're pretty big though. The ones I just saw on the milwaukee car ferry were probably close to 18"

Im thinking inland lake it was probably what we call a mudpuppy. Not sure of the real name. also it could have been the new invasive species the gobie. I havent dove inland lakes in a couple of years now to see if they have spread to inland lakes or not. Any one know? Gobies inland now? I know the zebras are inland now.

Did the "fish" have arms? Mud puppies are a type of salamander. Shame if it was and then got munched. They are becoming very rare in south eastern Michigan. I see a few in the St. Clair River in the spring.

Busdiver, I didn't see any arms, but I didn't really get a good view of his ventral side. He was in the grass and I saw mostly his dorsal side. He may well have had them, also I don't recall seeing any external gills like my son's pet oxalotyl (?sp). However, I can't say I was able to look closely enough. He certainly did swim like a salamander. It was kind of wild to see him get munched. I did fell a little twinge of guilt by disturbing the natural order of things and him getting eaten for it.

Back
Top Bottom