Crushed Neoprene OR Trilam?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

foamer86

Reaction score
I am looking advantages and disadvantages of both any info would be greatly apprecitated

Thanks

I've dove both and I prefer Trilam. Neoprene seems to hinder my movements too much.

foamer86:
I am looking advantages and disadvantages of both any info would be greatly apprecitated
I prefer regular neoprene. They swim better in the water and allow a closer fit without restricting movement. They are also very warm adn remain relatively warm even if flooded.

Crushed neoprene would be next on the list as they still offer some stretch. I will never dive a trilam again if I can avoid it as they opffer no stretch and have to be cut fairly large to allwo freedom of movement and all those wrinkles add up to major drag in the water and create a much more uncomfortable sqeeze effect so they require more frequent addition of air than a neoprene suit.

foamer86:

Thanks

This is a fairly personal choice, actually. I would advise you to make some dives in each of the suits you are interesting in buying (rent them) before you make this choice.

Over the years I've had both trilaminate and crushed neoprene suits. My current suit is crushed neoprene and I like it a lot for the durability (it's much tougher than my trilam suit was). I think if I needed to buy a suit again tomorrow then I would buy another crushed neoprene one, this time 2mm instead of 4mm.

Features are important for your choice but fit is essential. if the suit doesn't fit -- and fit well -- then it's the wrong choice no matter what it's made of.

R..

Diver0001:
This is a fairly personal choice, actually. I would advise you to make some dives in each of the suits you are interesting in buying (rent them) before you make this choice.

Over the years I've had both trilaminate and crushed neoprene suits. My current suit is crushed neoprene and I like it a lot for the durability (it's much tougher than my trilam suit was). I think if I needed to buy a suit again tomorrow then I would buy another crushed neoprene one, this time 2mm instead of 4mm.

Features are important for your choice but fit is essential. if the suit doesn't fit -- and fit well -- then it's the wrong choice no matter what it's made of.

R..

R.O. Turner's comments above are the best advice one can offer when it comes to dry-suits. An awful lot of the choice is personal preference, and the only way one can choose is to try several to see what they "feel" like.

My personal preference is crushed neoprene, and in my case, it's the DUI CFX-200. I have two of them. One of them is set up for PSD work, and the other is set up for deep re-breather work. There is a lot of info on the different types on their web-site: www.dui-online.com

I went for the ND Divemaster, crushed neoprene, after trying a trilam in the pool. Good price, comfortable. Definitely a personal choice -- I didn't like the baggy feel of trilam, and like diving with just lightweight polypro underwear (OK, the water's up to a balmy 41F :) )

I'm curious how the crushed neoprene holds up - most of my wetsuits have small tears, holes etc.. are drysuits more resiliant?

btw - mostly shore dives with sandy, rocky entries and frequent shallow reefs (ie 2ft or less at times).

Not that I "need" a drysuit in my climate, just curious if one would last past the first 2 dives...

Aloha, Tim

There are neopreme drysuits and neopreme drysuits. My Whites 45th anniversary 4 mil crushed is amazing. I have about 200 dives on it now and it's like new. Shell isn't my thing, I've froze to death in them. Trilam is nice but again it doesn't offer all the warmth crushed neopreme does.

Today at 90 feet it was 42 degrees, the shell suit guys suffered, I smiled and was in no hurry to get back up.

Is that because they did not have proper insulation underneath or just a characteristic of shell suits? - is there an ideal temperature range for a crushed neoprene suit?

Tim

Back
Top Bottom