Cruising and 4 stops where to go diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cincycolerain

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We are taking a Carnival cruse in July to Grand Caymen, Cozumel, Belize and Isla Roatan. We are new to diving and want to go diving at 2 stops. Which would you recommend? Has anyone been to all these locations?

I read about a Belize fly dive excusion that "Board a Cessna for a 15 minute scenic flight over the world's second largest Barrier Reef. At 1500 feet you will be able to see the magnificent underwater formations and the many islands that dot the reef system. This low altitude will allow you to take a return flight without compromising your dive.

Upon arrival in San Pedro on Ambergris Caye, you'll meet up with the dive shop to begin the underwater portion of your tour. A breathtaking two tank dive on the Barrier Reef awaits you." Has anyone ever done this on a cruise? If you know more details or where to book it please tell me because the website I read this has no booking info.

I wanted to see the Blue Hole but can't find info on if it is even possible if you are on a cruise. If it is please tell me or if you have info could you please share.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Belize - The best diving, including the Blue Hole, is a long way off from Belize City where the cruise ships stop and is therefore impractical so I would scratch that one from the list.

Cozumel & Roatan are both highly recommended. Cozumel has so many dive ops that you can usually find one to accommodate the cruise ship schedule if you don't want to go on the ship's dive.

Grand Cayman - Have not been yet myself so can't say for sure on that one. Many people rave about the diving there but not sure of the logistics diving there from a cruise ship.

You can go shore diving, very good shore diving, a short walk from the cruise ship pier in Grand Cayman. Eden Rock Dive Center is the spot. Walk off the water taxi and walk to the right to the blue building with the dive flag painted on it.

Cayman?s best shore and boat diving shop. Dive Cayman!

You can't do the Blue Hole from a cruise, it's too far away. I've seen it suggested to do something else from a cruise ship there as the good diving is really too far out in the Cays. As witnessed by the "15 minute scenic flight" option.

I'd book something with one of the local diveops in Cayman b4 I'd dive Eden Rock, it's convenience means that thousands of cruise divers have beat it up before you. We thought it was the most tired looking divesite we did all week - lots of broken off coral. And the dive ends rather abruptly under the cruise ships moored offshore. Lots of trash in the water there also as stuff has fallen off the boats. You can also both shore/boat dive with Fosters just a short walk the other direction. They have the cruise ship contract so booking with the cruise line will be with them. But you have to book through the cruise line, not sure what the price differential is.

If you want to shore dive a 5 min. cab ride will take you to Sunset House in South Georgetown, the diving is much better and there's 2 options for lunch, My Bar, a divers hangout or their restaurant.

But if you're in Cayman all day, contact one of the local diveops about picking you up at the cruise dock for a couple of better dives. Some will shuttle you to their boats nearby. Try Off-the-Wall, Wall to Wall, Neptunes Divers or Ambassador Diving for a start. See if anyone can bundle a couple of morning dives with Stingray City in the afternoon. It should be possible, we did that and were back at our condo by about 3:30, just 10mins. north of Georgetown.

Georgetown will be a zoo when the cruise ships arrrive/depart so plan for that. Also, unless the new cruise port is finished, everyone will be tendered off your boat to the dock, so plan for that if you have to meet a diveop shuttle nearby. Most diveops on Cayman have some sort of shuttle to/from their boat.

The cruise ships dock in Coxen Hole (downtown) in Roatan. The diving is mostly a few miles away in either direction. I believe CocoView has a day option for cruise divers, as does Anthony's Key. I think AKR even provides a shuttle. You could also cab to the West End and dive with Coconut Tree Divers, their schedule should allow for two dives with time to get back to your ship. You can do lunch and walk around the West End depending on when you get off the boat. It's about a 20 min ride to the West End. Negotiate a price for any cab rides up-front, prices go up when a cruise ship is in port. Shouldn't be any more than $10-15pp to the West End - often less.

Dove all four of those stops on a similar cruise several years ago. If I was going to rank them I would put Cozumel at the top of the list followed by Roatan, Grand Cayman and Belize in that order. The biggest problem with Belize as noted above is that the best diving is located well away from Belize City where the ships dock. We endured a kidney pounding two hour boat ride to some average Caribbean diving. Grand Cayman was okay but as noted they put us in the water within sight of the cruise ships (Texas Wall and Eden Rock if memory serves) and it was hardly a true taste of Grand Cayman.

I was on that same itinerary back in October. I chose Cozumel and Roatan. Cozumel because it's some pretty awesome drift diving and Roatan because well it's Roatan.

I've dove in Grand Cayman from a cruise ship stop previously and was unimpressed. Like the post above mentioned, we were in sight of the cruise ship and the diving was lackluster.

Belize is out, not worth the boat ride that would take for ever (or the expense of a flight in my opinion).

So I would recommend Cozumel and Roatan.

I have dove Grand Cayman and Cozumel both, never dove Belize but hear it is great but the good diving is too far out from the Belize City. I dove with Neptune Divers in Grand Cayman and must say the dive was great, did a wall dive and a wreck dive on my last dive. Small groups and they do accommodate Cruise ship divers. In Cozumel I have dove it several times and must say the diving have always been great, one of my favorite dive islands. In Cozumel have always dove with Papa Hogs. Going out on you own with a private operator you will get a better dive and fewer people and at a lower cost. I have never booked my dives through the cruise line.

You know you do get great diving off the ships in Belize City. It makes no sense to try to shop around in Belize since you do not have enough time to make it back to the ship. The ship excursion is really worthwhile. Hugh Parkey's offer a top notch tour and in July there are nice southeasterlies that make the boat ride short and relatively smooth compared to the winter months. I managed that operation for a few years before relocating to the cyber world (actually I got married) and we got 100% guest satisfaction rating by Scuba Diving magazine readers. Their level dropped for a while but they have restructured their management and are back on top. I was out with them on a cruise ship dive the other day and was not surprised by their professionalism. July is slow season and you can expect your trip to be more relaxed. Take a look at the Belize Forums on Scubaboard for more suggestions on Belize Diving.

Safe diving

Cyberdyver

We've done LOT's of cruises for our diving. I'd take Roatan and Grand Cayman or Cozumel. Belize we've done twice, but don't think we'd dive there again. Lots of time spent tendering in, then getting in a boat with snorkelers and divers, 45 min- hour ride to one of the Cays, then another boat for the diving. Belize was the most expensive of all the dives too.

Another option in Grand Cayman would be to take a cab to Sundivers at Turtle Reef for the day and do some shore dives. It's further than places like Sunset House or Eden Rock but the diving is much better. Have lunch at the Cracked Conch or a drink after diving. You're also by the turtle farm if you want to squeeze that in although I imagine it's crowded if there's cruise ships in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom