Cruiseship narrowly misses divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is scary. Not because of the incident itself, but because we have already seen evidence that the powers that be have decided that cruise ship $'s are more important than diving $'s. I hope this does not lead to diving restrictions...

Hmm... according to the article, here's what Carnival's Inspiration did that day:

1. Entered area of marine park off-limits to it.
2. Caused extreme sedimentation damage to surrounding marine park (Paraiso reef)from propwash.
3. Failed to recognize group of divers in immediate proximity.
4. Intercepted diving group, but divers scattered and avoided collision

Carnival will probably get slapped with a fine. No big deal, they're always getting slapped by fines, as are all the other major carriers. They can easily afford whatever the Mexican government decides upon. Those divers were extremely lucky. Unfortunately, that reef has probably suffered sedimentation damage the equivalent of that of a moderate hurricane. And it's in lovely Cozumel too... that's too bad.

I'll likely hear about this further in future Marine Protected Area (MPA) news reports. Dang.

James Goddard:
This is scary. Not because of the incident itself, but because we have already seen evidence that the powers that be have decided that cruise ship $'s are more important than diving $'s. I hope this does not lead to diving restrictions...

Not necessarily more important just a hell of a lot more of them!

We have hugh ships here that use the "boating lanes" in the St. Lawrence River in Canada. We hear them pass near by when we are diving. The sound of the propellers are unsettling and we are quite far away. I can only imagine what these divers felt inside.

DI_Guy

James Goddard:

I hope it doesn't lead to restrictions either. It shouldn't, after all the divers weren't in the wrong place, the ship was.
But, I believe we'll have to get used to the fact that the cruise ships going to be a priority for many. Look around, the cruisers have taken over island after island.
They represent high profit vs. infastructure to the locals. They come in, spend money for a few hours, get back on the ship and leave. Next day,another ship, same thing!
Sorry if I sound a little cynical,but after spending a few weeks on Grand Cayman, I've developed a distinct dislike for cuise ship people.

I would be happy with enough det-cord to surgically remove the props from the boat. Just make sure it is anchored in a port that doesn't afford much diving.

I think we need to start a collection to buy a diesel-electric sub from the Black Sea Fleet. This way there is no need to get rid of the ship in shallow(er) water.

Does anyone think Cruise ships and diving are compatible? I think it is an eerie omen of things to come.

Not at all surprised that this was a Carnival ship. I would expect nothing more then a fine and/or a nice PR move on Carnival Corp's part in the next few weeks announcing that they are donating some percentage of cruise fares to the Marine Park or similar. Sadly, the Mexican govt will not likely do much to CC. They are the developers of the ports at Mahahual (sp), Calica (PDC) and Progresso, not to mention that they account for 80% of port fees in these ports and Coz. There's no way that land based vacationers could come close to putting the putting the $'s into the economy that the ships do, even if the island was at 100% capactiy 365 days/year.

Their attitude in the cruise industry is pretty much to do what they want. Carnival Corp now owns Carnival, Holland America, Cunard, Costa, Seabourn, Windstar, and Princess. They really weren't out to acquire Princess, but when there was deal 98% in place with Royal Caribbean/Celebrity to acquire then, Carnival Corp stepped in. If you can't beat them, own them.

StSomewhere:
If the Mexican govt wanted to fix this, they could throw the captain and/or pilot into a Mexican jail for a few years. That'd put a stop to this kind of thing, and fast.

They really slapped the cruise ship company hard, didn't they? They delayed the ship's departure by three whole hours!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom