Cruise to the Similans?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chiara

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
We are an IDC Staff Instructor and two Assistant Instructors in the making (possibly going through to IDC and IE as well).

We would like to go cruising to the Similan Islands - South West Thailand - around Christmas, one of us must be imperatively back to Europe by December, 30th, so we might need to leave around mid-December in order to fully enjoy ten days to two weeks.

We have been recommended DiveAsia, but their cruise leaves either on Boxing Day or on December 21rst.

Any suggestions for alternatives will be greatly appreciated!

MV Colona VI run by Kon Tiki - I don't know what their dates are this year but I went with them this past Christmas and I think they would fit your schedule.

I booked through this mob but I also got plenty of help from people on this board - I was all a question of timing and availability at the time but I was booking late.

Wish I could plan that far in advance!

Jonathan

I was on MV Viking. They are good. The boat is brand new. Staff are helpful and friendly.

The Viking is very expensive though - prohibitively so for 10 to 14 days (maybe I am just poor:( )- what price are you wanting to pay??? What itinery do you want - 10 days in the sims would mean back to backs on most boats.

You can get any standard you want if you are willing to pay - if I want a bit of luxury I dive the Panunee, if I just want diving, beer, a relaxed time I go cheaper (you see the same fish :wink: ).

Best way is to set a budget and then start looking based on that.

I think something in the range of around 1000US$ would do.

I looked both at the Viking and the Panunee, they look too much luxury to me.

We would like a small boat (say maximum 15 divers) with decent comfort and safety, not much more.

I did a trip with Seafarer Divers in January. Their boat is basic but comfortable and spacious -- lots of space on the dive deck, especially. It sleeps 14 in double and quadshare cabins.

The captain gave a briefing for each dive site, but let us do own own thing in the water. We were told to do a five-minute safety stop at the end of the dive (it's a long trip back to the recompression chamber on Phuket), but we were left to plan our own depths and times and so on. The captain is French (thought I'd mention that in case you speak French as well as Italian).

Web site: http://www.seafarer-divers.com/

They usually do five-day trips, but I guess you could do two trips back to back.

Zept

I think something in the range of around 1000US$ would do

MV Colona is the one then IMHO - I paid about that for 6 days. I think Mermaid II is probably about the same price so worht a look as well.

I've just seen TJO's video from his Christmas trip on Viking - that dive deck is a big as some boats I've seen, its HUGE. Looked very nice too - cheers TJO! Where are you by the way? Answer your email will yah!!

Jonathan

Hi Chiara,

give a look to www.Scubacat.com Spent my new year on their Similan only boat having done a luxury number up to Richlieu the previous 5 days. On a 10 day itinerary you can combine the Adventure boat up to Richlieu and the simlan only boat transfering in the similans without having to go back to Phuket. Another good idea is they transfer to Scubacat every 2nd day so you don't have to time your vacation with when your chosen boat is departing. I had a great time, the boats are functional but not upper class. sleeping quarters are quiet and comfortable, plenty of charge points available, food is plentiful and reasonably good. 4 day dives and a night dive every day. It was about $100 a day so should be in budget.

Pack those big fins and enjoy.

Neil

Back
Top Bottom