Cruise ship runs aground in Raja Ampat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ships long gone. Here's what remains -

Due to Raja Ampat’s special biodiversity and its status as one of the world’s most popular dive sites, as well as the fact that the damage occurred in a national park, the evaluation team will recommend the company pay compensation of $800-$1,200 (£650-£985) per square meter, for a total of $1.28m-$1.92m, according to Tapilatu. The standard rate is $200-$400 per square meter. (FRom the article linked prior)

This is assuming the Bahamian registered owners of the ship agree to the above assessment done by the British cruise company operating the ship. If disputed a court appeal should take approx 2 - 3 years from date lodges to settlement.

If the Bahamian owner of the Ship opts for insolvency (not uncommon) if unsuccessful in court ..shows over. If not,

Funds should then be directed to the local authorities and community to begin reef repatriation which their assessment estimates will take a decade.

So the damage sits there for a good 5 years before a $ from the company or companies involved arrives.

The clean up? My guess is the local stakeholders will be left to deal with the immediate mess

Ships long gone. Here's what remains -

Due to Raja Ampat’s special biodiversity and its status as one of the world’s most popular dive sites, as well as the fact that the damage occurred in a national park, the evaluation team will recommend the company pay compensation of $800-$1,200 (£650-£985) per square meter, for a total of $1.28m-$1.92m, according to Tapilatu. The standard rate is $200-$400 per square meter. (FRom the article linked prior)

This is assuming the Bahamian registered owners of the ship agree to the above assessment done by the British cruise company operating the ship. If disputed a court appeal should take approx 2 - 3 years from date lodges to settlement.

If the Bahamian owner of the Ship opts for insolvency (not uncommon) if unsuccessful in court ..shows over. If not,

Funds should then be directed to the local authorities and community to begin reef repatriation which their assessment estimates will take a decade.

So the damage sits there for a good 5 years before a $ from the company or companies involved arrives.

The clean up? My guess is the local stakeholders will be left to deal with the immediate mess

I would wager that a similar (or larger) incident in the US would take at least as long. but I am just guessing.

Clearly an ounce (gram) of prevention is worth a pound (kilogram) of cure.

- Bill

For clarity - my mistake - from the article the assessment team is from West Papua. This further impacts because the cruise ship operator will no doubt send their own investigation team in to dispute the damage -

An official evaluation team found that the ship had been caught in low tide despite being equipped with GPS and radar instruments, according to team member Ricardo Tapilatu, head of the Research Center for Pacific Marine Resources at the University of Papua.

“A tugboat from Sorong city was deployed to help refloat the cruise ship, which is something that shouldn’t have happened because it damaged the reef even worse,” Tapilatu said. “They should’ve waited for high tide” to refloat the vessel.

I wouldnt hold my breath - similar themed cases like BHPs 5 billion dollar fine and anyone familiar with Ok Tedi will remember that its highly unlikely any of the funding will end up in the right hands in a timely fashion.

Its very bad juju

Well, it is the Indonesian government that we are talking here. I would not put too much faith in them.

Sure, not like the U.S.A., Russia, Turkey, Syria, Philippines, Israel or North Korea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom