Cruise Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We've done the 4day out of Galveston a couple of times. The 4day is Thur-Mon. so you are in Coz on Sat. It is a Carnival cruise & last time we went the ship used Aqua World. I'm not that fond of Carnival though. Port time is 9-5 on that cruise.

A good resource for checking cruises is Continental Airlines site. The search method is easy to use. Quick check showed the cruise with the best port time is a Celebrity 4day out of Miami...8 - 8 port time.

Mike

Having worked for Carnival for 3 years, I can say DO NOT book through the ship. You will have a 35 minute bottom time first dive, 45 for the second. The boat is slow, it's more expensive than booking outside the ship. I used Scuba Mau quite a bit while working. Never missed the ship. Garrobo, email a bunch of ops. Quite a few have a boat going out later in the morning to accommodate for people coming off of the ship. I know the Ecstasy out of Galveston does a 4 day to Coz, the Triumph out of New Orleans, Elation out of Mobile, Inspiration out of Tampa, sometimes the Destiny out of Miami (4 day is usually Key West and Coz, but it has done just Coz from 8am until 10pm. few and far between though). All Carnival. Not sure about Royal and Norwegian, but I'm sure they have a few ships as well.

Rivers and DiverKat: Thank you for the to-the-point responses, not like a snaughty answer like: "Soooooo. You want US to plan your vacation........." I appreciate your time and effort.

1-Diver cat: Thank you for answering my question.
2-MMM: Exactly as I stated in my post.
3-Isorenson: Hey. You got about half of it.
4-Firediver: Same as above.
5- Thanks guys.

I am sorry you did not find the information I provided helpful... Good luck with your trip and hope it works out as well for you as it did for me!

lee

Garrobo... Not sure if that's a "shot" at fire_diver but if it is, its in poor taste... I for one, do not book dives through cruise ships but many people do and I will let those who do vouch for "shore excursions"...

I much prefer arranging my on dives or any other activity when on cruises... We did a week cruise out of New Orleans and Coz was one of the stops. I took the suggestion of someone on this board and booked a couple of dives with Aldora Divers of Cozumel Aldora Divers of Cozumel and could not say enough good things about them...

They are familiar with how the cruises work and can be delayed. They know if your ship is delayed and will work with you to get your dives in. They will supply you with 100's or 120's if you like, and I like... :D They will even refund your money if things go all to hell in a hand bag e.g. ship skips the port all together, only gives you 3-4 hours in port, bad weather....!

We caught a cab to the shop (5 dollars) filled out the paper work and walked down to the boat and had two great dives...

Thought so much about this shop, we are going back for a week or 10 days and will be using Aldora...

Much luck, lee

PS You need to check for the best cruise that offers the most time at Coz e.g. I wanted at least 8 hours in port...! It was initially 9 hours but the ship cut one hour off...

Lee, I think it may have me that steered you towards Aldora. I knew they would take care of you and give a great dive experience. They have a specific section on their site to help the cruise diver.
Diving from Cruise Ships
From what I've seen you will generally be given your own boat with other cruise divers (if possible) because they have 6 boats.
Oh and Welcome to the addiction Lee!!!:D

Isorenson: No problemo. All I intended to do was to say that you and couple others pretty much repeated my question although you did suggest the name of a dive operator who I would not be using since I always dive with Pappa Hoggs. My query was about the arrival time of cruise ships sailing to Coz from the Gulf Coast or SE Florida, not a dive shop. Thank you for your attempt to help.

Another note Garrobo, if you are leaving from a Florida port, ship's time is an hour ahead of Cozumel time (at least with Carnival. ship's stay on the time of the home port), so if the ship gets in at 8:00 am ships time, it will only be 7am in Coz. Whereas ships leaving from the gulf coast (Galveston, New Orleans, etc) are on Central time just like Cozumel. Just something to think about. It might be easier to make an 8:30 am Coz time departure if you are on a ship out of Florida.

I had forgotten about the time zones & ship time & actual port time.

Garrobo....one other thing to remember is the amount of time it takes for the ship to clear customs once you dock. Probably safe to figure 30 minutes after arrival time.

You didn't mention if you have cruised before, so if not, this is how the major cruiselines going into Coz can generally be categorized.

Carnival: Younger & more of a party atmosphere. Decore is similar to a gaudy Vegas hotel. Food was actually better than I expected. On the 4 day, ships are generally smaller..Ecstacy class ships. 2K passenger range.

Royal Caribbean: Little bit older crowd, not qute as much partying & a more subdued decor....think standard Hilton/Marriot. Food good, but Carnival may be better. Larger ships that range from 2500 - 5000 pax.

Princess: Older still. pretty quiet. Decor is least gaudy of the 3. Food on par with Carnival & use larger Grand Class ships....3000+ pax.

Celebrity: Haven't sailed with them, but are supposed to be more upscale than the other 3. Have been targeting a younger crowd in their advertising & taking flak from their usual passanger mix for it. Their ships are in the 2500 pax range.

Mike

Lee, I think it may have me that steered you towards Aldora. I knew they would take care of you and give a great dive experience. They have a specific section on their site to help the cruise diver.
Diving from Cruise Ships
From what I've seen you will generally be given your own boat with other cruise divers (if possible) because they have 6 boats.
Oh and Welcome to the addiction Lee!!!:D

Yes... It is your fault Joe and I am going to send you the bill for the 10 days!!! :wink: Hope to run into you down there sometime and buy you a beer or three...

lee

Back
Top Bottom