Crossing into Canada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan

Knight Scublar
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I want to cross the Canadian border from New York and I don't have a passport. The Canadian government's web site implies I need a passport and a license won't do.

I've crossed the border many times with only a license, but haven't in a couple of years, so I'm not sure if this is new or not.

Basically, do you think I'll have a problem with crossing armed only with a license?

It depends on how thorough the officer is when you go across. Sometimes they ask you for proof of citizenship, sometimes they don't. Don't forget you can also be asked for proof of citizenship coming back into the US too. This is a much different world post 9-11. You may garner extra attention if you are crossing with a car full of dive equipment.

If you don't have a passport an original, stamped copy of a birth certificate along with another piece of official photo ID is sufficent.

When we crossed this summer in Buffalo we saw cars getting turned around on both sides of the border. I've also seen people denied boarding by the airlines on flights to Canada when all they've had is a drivers license.

Marc

FLL Diver:
It depends on how thorough the officer is when you go across. Sometimes they ask you for proof of citizenship, sometimes they don't. Don't forget you can also be asked for proof of citizenship coming back into the US too. This is a much different world post 9-11. You may garner extra attention if you are crossing with a car full of dive equipment.

If you don't have a passport an original, stamped copy of a birth certificate along with another piece of official photo ID is sufficent.

When we crossed this summer in Buffalo we saw cars getting turned around on both sides of the border. I've also seen people denied boarding by the airlines on flights to Canada when all they've had is a drivers license.

Marc

Jon,

Marc is correct. I live in Buffalo, and I cross the border frequently. Just make sure you have your birth certificate, and your license, and you will be fine. My friend uses this when we go, and she never has a problem.

Pam

We cross frequently and a passport work the best, both going and comming. If you have time I'd suggest getting a passport. Very much worth the effort.

Indeed - a drivers licence was never truly enough photo ID - pre 9-11 or post 9-11.

You do need to provide proof of citizenship - both ways. A birth certificate will work. A passport is unnecessary, but never a bad option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom