Cross hiring of divemasters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fisherdvm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
When it comes to employment, do PADI shops hire YMCA and Naui DM's, and vice versa? If it is simply leading dive tourists, and you have insurance, it probably doesn't matter, right?

How about assisting with an OW class? Can PADI shop hire other cert agencies' DM's and other agency's shop hire PADI DM?

If a shop or resort is affiliated with one or another of the agencies, they will usually hire Instructors and Dive Masters certified by that agency. Generally, insured dive professionals of any agency may conduct certified divers of any agency. In order to conduct classes or assist with classes an instructor or dive master needs to be certified by the agency under whose sponsorship the class is offered. Individual dive shops and resorts will have their own, additional, requirements.

It is my understanding that NAUI Instructors are indeed allowed to use instructors/DMs/etc. from other agencies. Quoting from the NAUI S&P Manual, page 2.5 (italics mine):
Certified Scuba Assistant- An individual who has completed a desginated NAUI Course and registered with NAUI, to include: Instructor, Skin Diving Instructor, Training Assistant, Assistant Instructor, or Divemaster. Leadership members of other NAUI recognized training organizations also qualify.
I have heard it said that PADI does not reciprocate, but I do not have PADI standards and policies against which to check that information. (Then again, consider PADI and Universal Referrals...)

For PADI classes they have to be PADI DM' s

A certified assistant is a new or renewed PADI Instructor, PADI Assistant
Instructor or PADI Divemaster (in Active status). No others qualify.

If it is simply leading dive tourists, and you have insurance, it probably doesn't matter, right?

In Hawaii and the Florida Keys I have not witnessed more than a handful of DM's leading tourist dives. Most dive operators I've encountered are only hiring DM's for shop duties (tank filling, rental gear, rest room cleaning, etc) and boat shifs where they don't dive.

Some do, some don't. It depends on the indivual shop's policy. A PADI 5 star shop, for example, can only teach PADI classes if a PADI certification is available. Since PADI doesn't have a cave certification, a 5 star shop can teach cave through one of the agencies that do. Some shops love having instructors from many different agencies.

In the YMCA program the DM or Assistant Instructor must be Y certifed in order to affect the maximum allowed student to teacher ratio in confined or open water. DM leading "tours" by open-water student divers after line skill evaluations by the Instructor must be Y certified. I think as much as anything this is an insurance issue. DMs, AIs and Instructors are required to carry Y-approved insurance. Dive professionals from other agencies may or may not carry the appropriate insurance.

Back
Top Bottom