Critters...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chunky

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Not for people easily grossed out by critters going places they shouldn't be going...

So I'm on a rig dive out in the Gulf of Mexico and I drop down to 20 feet to wait for my buddy. While there I was collecting a couple small blennys for my fish tank(the oil rigs get scraped off every once in a while killing everything on the structure so I don't feel bad taking a small fish home from them). I was using my knife to pry off the large dead barnacles that they hide in. As I broke one free some bits of calcium broke loose anddrifted away and got caught by the current that I was shielded from by the rig's leg. Then all of a sudden I felt some of the debree hit my ear and get lodged inside. So now I'm annoyed at this point because I take my glove off and can't get it out. I do this the whole dive till I get back on the boat 50 minutes later. I go over to the other divers and tell them there is something in my ear and ask if they can see it. They think I'm crazy because they can't see anything. But now the water has drained out and the mystery objects begins to move around... That was not a pleasant moment for me. So I grab some isopropanol and flush out my ear, not a smart move because now the critter goes crazy. Scraped the inside of my ear pretty bad. So I turn my head to drain out whatever is in there and this 1.5 inch rock shrimp drops on the deck. The diver that thought I was crazy turns away cause he thinks he's about to puke. It was a big female, I know it was a female by the large amount of eggs under her tail. The boats's DM was convinced that every time I get back in the water I would have baby shrimp swimming out of it. To this day I am the only person I have ever known to have a shrimp take up residents in his ear.

I still have the shrimp in a test.

Interesting. My older brother once got his boat stuck on a shoal off of Key West, and while when high tide came in, we decided to push it the 100 yards or so to the channel. As we were pushing it across the sandy bottom, I stepped into a hole with my right leg, down to my knee. I got out and didn't think much more about it. Later that night, I started developing a wierd rash, and it got progressively worse over the next few days. No matter what type of ointment I put on it, I couldn't get relief from the itching and burning. However, after about three or four days, the rash went away. Interestingly enough, it then showed up on my left foot and leg! (I think because I moved whatever it was by whith the wash-cloth in the shower) It followed the same course of action, and went away as mysteriously as it started. I haven't had any problems since.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom