Critter of the Month - June: Saddle Wrasse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Saddle Wrasse
Thalassone Duperrey
Hinalea lau-wili

P1019116001.jpg

Saddle Wrasse to the top right

One of the most abundant wrasses in Hawaii. I don't have a picture right now so it is the goal of my next dive to get one. I've had one follow me for an entire dive. They are certainly not shy. Anybody notice anything about these fellas?​

In the meantime, there's one here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/doctorkb/131667037/

On my last trip, I did a lot of diving at Ulua and found these fish to be rather skittish (i.e. you look at them and they dart away). Oddly enough, this is the complete opposite of their behaviour four years ago at Airport Beach, when they were actually interrupting our OW class there were so many of them, and getting right in the way!

Here, at Turtle canyons and Kaiser reef they become your siamese twin. They will come and inspect the camera...take a nibble at it. They get so up in your face that I often have to shoo them away

They have an odd way of getting their calcium vitamins at Manta Ray Bay outside of Honokohau Harbor in Kona. They will "rush" into the school of yellow goatfish to literally scare the poop out of them, and proceed to feast on the newly released "calcium".

OK, so I notice wierd things.

justleesa:

That is exactly what I thought the first few times I watched it happen, but since I am still just a boy at heart, I now think it is funny and I laugh every time I see it.

Saddle Wrasse. Huh, I always just call them picture ruiners. Seems they just love to dart in at the wrong moment. I should look in my bad photos, and post some of the funny Saddle Wrasse shots.
Aloha Turtleguy9

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom