Critter of the Month - June: Saddle Wrasse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa:
Here, at Turtle canyons and Kaiser reef they become your siamese twin. They will come and inspect the camera...take a nibble at it. They get so up in your face that I often have to shoo them away

Nice shots Leesa :D, the behaviour of the wrasse reminds me of triggerfish.

Had a dive once in which I was I was literally the pied piper of triggerfish, had a whole school of them following me...

A few months ago, one diver described a saddle wrasse during the SI and asked the DM what it was. The DM was totally stumped, since they are just background that he filters out in his mind. :) It was a real "duh!" moment when I flipped Hoover's open to the saddle wrasse page and the diver goes "that's it!".

My equivalent was one day when I wanted to comment on the great abundance of a certain item and was having a "senior moment" and just couldn't remember the name. Totally stumped the DM/owner, even when I described it and emphasized that "it's really, really common, but I just can't come up with the name". Finally the Captain that was listening said "pencil slate urchin".

It's funny how one can get so familiar with something that you hardly notice it anymore.

justleesa:

I did not take that picture, just wanted to show how it looked in its juvenile stage, didn't mean to make it look like I did.

underwater photography is too expensive for me.... haven't opened that bag of cats yet.

I believe Keoki Stender took that photo. I got it from here:

http://www.coralreefnetwork.com/stender/fishes/endemic.htm

It had the copyright on that page, dunno why you can't see it when I linked it directly.

:wink:

Thanks! I would have used it in the summery thread if it had been yours...I just wasn't sure

Aloha,
Lisa

Back
Top Bottom