Critter IDs for Beqa, Fiji

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi

I have some critters I have not been able to identify from Beqa Lagoon in Fiji, any help would be appreciated :)

Nudibranch laying eggs
10416_156578693689_729713689_3481090_8341459_n.jpg

This was a few cm long, found a bunch of them in sheltered sea grass in the afternoon in about 1m of water. I went through all of the Fiji nudis on the Sea Slug forum but could not find it :depressed: Perhaps I missed it amongst the dozens I looked at though!

White fish hiding in some coral
10416_156578673689_729713689_3481086_1069875_n.jpg

Not sure how big as it was mostly hidden but perhaps no bigger than 10cm all up? It was hiding in coral in about 4m of water in sheltered area. Seen in the afternoon. If I got too close it would hide in its hole and slowly emerge again.

Big grey fish
10416_156578833689_729713689_3481117_840541_n.jpg

Fairly large, but was never up close to it to tell for sure. Seen in 18-24m depth on a shark dive in the morning just swimming around.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Second one is some sort of fang blenny - possibly Aspidontus taeniatus - but I think a 100% id would only be possible with a bit more of the fish on show.

Third is a puffer, Arothron sp. - difficult to tell which as it is in silhouette. I have lightened it up on my system and favour the Blue-spotted (A. caeruleopunctatus) but have to say it could also be a Star Puffer ( A. stellatus).

Look forward to seeing what others think.

Thanks Jim. I saw more of the fang blenny (but was too slow to photograph it) and believe you are correct with that ID.

The puffer (after googling images of both fish), I am quite certain is A. caeruleopunctatus.

Thanks a lot! :) Just the nudi now!

Hi Sarah, I'm pretty sure your nudi is Gymnodoris ceylonica. They're not very common around our parts and I only know it because they pose a bit of an ID challenge with G. rubropapulosa. Yours however have its orange spots small and sparse enough to leave no doubt.

The fangblenny does indeed look like Aspidontus taeniatus. I would think the only other candidate is Aspidontus dussumieri but if you saw more of the fish it should be fairly easy to eliminate one or the other. If you saw any yellow on the fish you have A dussumieri, if you saw any blue (like a Cleaner Wrasse) you have A. taeniatus. The more I look at your pic, the more I believe that it is indeed A. taeniatus.

Nice pics by the way.

Sweet, thanks Deefstes :) That's everything! I believe you are right about the nudi and given I saw most of the white fish and it did not have yellow I'll keep the ID as A. taeniatus.

That puffer hangs at the big fish feed at pacific harbor all the time! I have video at my web site of him during the feed! He is one ugly fish! The video is 2007 Beqa Lagoon in the travel section. You know you've been down too long when you recognize the fish as neighbors!:D

Back
Top Bottom