Critter ID - Oooh Fuzzy! Let's Touch!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daylonious

Señor Pantalones
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Took this in Coz about 3 weeks ago while diving on the north side (San Juan I think it was called)

I *THINK* it's a really really really big bearded fireworm - (it was easily 12 inches) but I thought they didn't get that big.

Sorry for the poor quality - still a camera newbie (shooting film in a MMII)

D.

I'd guess that's a cucumber, but what do I know? Did it move, and how fast?

The worms are usually never caught out in daylight like that. Unless this was a night dive?

Ed

This was a dive in the middle of the day (11am) and it was hauling some butt across the sand.

D.

I saw 2 bearded fireworms just like the one in the picture in broad daylight in curacao a few weeks ago. I snapped a pic of this one and it was 12" long (possibly bigger) and on the move. About 10 seconds later and it was on the coral to the left.

Matt

Although I *thankfully* have never had the experience, I understand that brushing up against those guys makes firecoral feel like a cold shower..

Firecoral I've brushed against accidentally on my wrist - that was unpleasant enough.

D.

That is a Bristle Worm (AKA Fireworm), not a Sea Cucumber. It's rare for them to get that big (remember 25% larger), but they do. That is one frightening critter.

LeslieH:
Unlike most worms, the bearded fireworm Hermodice carunculata cruises around during the day because very few critters will bother them. 12" is not unusual for them.

In the Caribbean, watch out for Hermodice piñaculata.

Back
Top Bottom