Critical Thinking 101

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you feel it when an airplane flies over you?

the K

roakey:
You put a refrigerator in a perfectly insulated room, plug it in and open the door. Does the room get warmer, colder or stay the same?

Roak

Ps. Still relatively easy.
Warmer of course.
Rick

The Kraken:
Do you feel it when an airplane flies over you?

the K
Depends on the airplane, doesn't it?
If it's an A7 I'd get all teary and nostalgic :D
Rick

For this problem, "Sea ice" = ice floating in the sea (icebergs, most of the arctic ocean ice etc)
--
If all the sea ice in the world were to melt, how much change would there be in sea level?
Rick

I think the "theoretical" answer would be that it remains the same as the displacement of frozen water is roughly equal to that of the same water in liquid form...

Just as in a drinkglass that is topped to the brim doesent overflow as the ice melts...

In this instance though, the air above sea-ice is very dry so the melting process would propably result in some watervapour being absorbed into the surrounding air, hence the actual waterlevel would sink "slightly"...

Know what you mean, Rick. Still look up every time I hear the 330 RPM wop-wop-wop of rotor blades.

Sorry for the hi-jack.

But let us say the internal temperature of the refrigerator is -300 degrees F. All other things being equal, ie the outside temperature of the refrigerator is not affected by the internal temperature, the room is 4'x4'x8', the ambient temperature of the room is 70 degrees F, would not opening the door allow the cold air to escape and, for a period of time reduce the ambient temperature of the room regardless of the heat the electrical motor was outputing?

the K-urious One

The Kraken:
Know what you mean, Rick. Still look up every time I hear the 330 RPM wop-wop-wop of rotor blades.

Sorry for the hi-jack.

But let us say the internal temperature of the refrigerator is -300 degrees F. All other things being equal, ie the outside temperature of the refrigerator is not affected by the internal temperature, the room is 4'x4'x8', the ambient temperature of the room is 70 degrees F, would not opening the door allow the cold air to escape and, for a period of time reduce the ambient temperature of the room regardless of the heat the electrical motor was outputing?

the K-urious One
Of course. However, as the question involved "plugging it in," we must reasonably assume the question presupposes that the fridge is on and running, with the eventual result being a warmer room than when we started, regardless of any initial difference in the interior temp of the reefer and the room.
If we're reasonable as well as critical in our thinking, that is... :)
Rick

I can't believe some of the answers above.

Of course the bird flying around inside a closed object (plane) increases the weight of that object.
What's holding the bird up? Magic?
Action and reaction are equal and opposite.
There is a reaction from the weight of the bird distributed over the floor of the plane.

Mike, the door is open.

the K

miketsp:
I can't believe some of the answers above.

Of course the bird flying around inside a closed object (plane) increases the weight of that object.
What's holding the bird up? Magic?
Action and reaction are equal and opposite.
There is a reaction from the weight of the bird distributed over the floor of the plane.

Yes. LOL, this thread should be made a sticky!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom