Critical Thinking 101

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miketsp:
No, it depends whether or not the fluid (air or water) supported by the container is in turn supporting the bird/fish.
Immersion is not sufficient criteria as proven by the Kraken's post where he just stuck his hand in the can. (Post #57).
The hand is not supported by the air in the can but by an external structure.

I had time to critically think last night.

Mike you are right. I am wrong. (not like the first time)

imagine the air in the airplane being displaced by helium. It would be lighter.

So, if the air were replaced with one bird or enough birds to displace all the air, the plane would be heavier, as Mike pointed out. Good job!

Mr. k's anology is good, too.

AXL72:
I had time to critically think last night.

i try to make time to critically think every night

or at least every other night

:eyebrow:

Rick Murchison:
Of course. However, as the question involved "plugging it in," we must reasonably assume the question presupposes that the fridge is on and running, with the eventual result being a warmer room than when we started, regardless of any initial difference in the interior temp of the reefer and the room.
If we're reasonable as well as critical in our thinking, that is... :)
Rick
Right. The simple way to think of this is that energy is going into the perfectly insulated room so the temp has to increase.

Roak

You're sitting in a rowboat in the middle of a lake. You take a big rock that's sitting in the bottom of the boat and throw it into the water and it sinks. Does the lake's water level go up, down or stay the same?

Roak

hmmm....

the lake gets lower

the volume of water displaced by the rock in the boat is LARGER than the volume of water displaced by the rock in the bottom

???

In most of the questions, they are easily solved by just applying conservation of energy and matter, and knowing how displacement works.

Stays the same. A sea lion in the zoo hauls out on a raft, does the water level in the pool go up, down or remain the same?

Like the "hand in the can" it depends on whether the sea lions weight was supported by a structure outside the pool or not. If it was, for example, lying by the side of the pool (perhaps enjoying the sun? mmm sun...) then the waterlevel rises as the raft now has a greater displacement than before. If it was in the pool before climbing onto the raft then the water level remains the same...

Back
Top Bottom