Crime

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NudeDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
So, do you have a significant worry about crime? By this, I'm not talking about nationwide, or even statewide. I'm talking about in whatever areas you frequent enough that you worry about it. I'm also not talking about thinks like financial crimes by CEOs and stuff - I'm talking about the bread and butter issues - murders, rapes, robberies, carjackings, etc. I'm talking about whether you worry about you or someone you love being the direct victim of these kinds of crimes - that it occupies a significant portion of your daily or weekly thoughts. I'm just curious if people are generally worried about this kind of thing or not.

Personally, I'm not really worried. I take the normal precautions - I lock my house and I lock my car (in the winter at least, not in the summer) and I don't keep anything really valuable in my car - but that's the extent of my "house and car issues" for the most part. Although we have high crime rates in some categories, in the overall scheme of things, it's just not a big concern - given the actual odds of being affected. I asked my wife this question and she says she isn't really concerned about it either. Sort of a "yeah, if it happens, it happens, and that would suck, but I'm not really worried about it" sort of thing.

So, anyway - just curious.

Thanks!
nd

I used to be able to go to bed at night with the back door wide open in the summer, to let the night air cool the house down. Now, all the doors get locked and deadbolted and I keep a shotgun in the bedroom. Things have gotten that bad in this area, I can't sell the house to move...

We are seeing the crime rate rise already...not to worried about here, though. I am worried about the folks on the mainland.

Nope.

(Might be interesting to make this a POLL question)

Nope.

(Might be interesting to make this a POLL question)
My last experience with creating a poll didn't go so well. People decided it was some big conspiracy, designed to trick them into thinking a laptop is a dive computer - or something. So, this time, I decided to keep it simple :)

I live outside the city in the country and there is virtually no violent crime. We have the occasional meth lab and random DUI here and there, stolen lawnmower once in a while...the populace is armed to the teeth, if you think about a car jacking, home invasion, or armed robbery you're criminal career will be short. When I go into Savannah I take the normal precautions. Stay out of certain areas, take paths you know to avoid wandering into trouble, keep your head on a swivel, and I don't personally carry if I'll be drinking. If you follow all that you're biggest worry will be some random drunk a$$hole army ranger...and they're manageable.

Experience tells us that as the economy dwindles the crime will rise so there is some increased due diligence in order I think...so yes, it is in my mind but isn't a dominant thought...

-Dan

I live in the heart of a big city but I'm not that worried about crime, even though a couple months ago their was an attack right by my building and a couple of years ago a rape less than a block away.

I live less than 2 blocks from the nearest police station. But several years ago there a person was beaten to death right across the street from the station. (Long story how and why it happened, suffice it to say it was a hate crime)

I grew up in the city so I'm careful about my surroundings and lock my doors. Though generally this is a low crime area some violent crimes still happen. I've lived in the "safe" suburbs and yet there was still the random violent act. I actually feel safer where I live now than when I lived way out in the boonies.

Crime can and does happen just about anywhere. For the most part I stay out of the high crime areas and I know how to be careful.

I keep my appartement locked although theres close to no burglaries where I live in the middle of nowhere. However since I live in the middle of nowhere its also easier to get away with it as the chance of getting caught red handed is fairly low.
My car I also keep locked and without valuables placed visibly inside.
Then again, given almost every job Ive had has somehow been related to security im a bit more paranoid than others might be.
As far as car jackings, rapes, murders and such Im not too worried, neither where I live nor when Im traveling around the world. I do take some precaution of where I move around when Im traveling though, as I usually travel alone. I wont exactly go to Mexico city and loiter the darkest, most worn down back allies and faellas either :p

No. I take standard precautions regarding locking doors, etc. and I stay aware of my surroundings when I'm out and about. I make a lot of eye contact and use aggressive body language when I'm walking in questionable areas, I prefer to move like a predator rather than prey when there may be people hunting for victims.
Ber :lilbunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom