Crime

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Be too agressive and you might appear to be challenging people tho..

Be too agressive and you might appear to be challenging people tho..

I'm a 5'7" skinny female, when you're my size it's better to challenge and make the bigger ones think you're crazy :wink: I'm not big enough to be a trophy fight.
Ber :lilbunny:

I live in the heart of a big city but I'm not that worried about crime, even though a couple months ago their was an attack right by my building and a couple of years ago a rape less than a block away.

I live less than 2 blocks from the nearest police station. But several years ago there a person was beaten to death right across the street from the station. (Long story how and why it happened, suffice it to say it was a hate crime)

I grew up in the city so I'm careful about my surroundings and lock my doors. Though generally this is a low crime area some violent crimes still happen. I've lived in the "safe" suburbs and yet there was still the random violent act. I actually feel safer where I live now than when I lived way out in the boonies.

Crime can and does happen just about anywhere. For the most part I stay out of the high crime areas and I know how to be careful.

I have lived in a number of place. One was downtown Chicago. I can honestly say that I have NEVER felt any safer than I felt while living there.

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

Because I've been over 6' tall since my early teens, I've never felt threatened or in danger in any way. Back when I was in my late teems/early twenties, people would cross streets to stay clear of me; and women would actually walk out of elevators if they were alone, and I walked in. I've known for most of my adult life that I'm probably the last person a potential robber/mugger/troublemaker wants to deal with.

My wife, on the other hand, is the complete opposite. I catch holy-hell if I forget to lock every door in the house before I go to bed.:shakehead: Before meeting her, I rarely locked all doors in my home, if any.

It might depend on where in the world you are of course, but Im almost 6' myself and I'm not considered to be very big around here.
Of course in school in your early teens the other pupils would tend to be a fair bit smaller tho..

I'm a 5'7" skinny female, when you're my size it's better to challenge and make the bigger ones think you're crazy :wink: I'm not big enough to be a trophy fight.

Hey I use the same strategy! I'm 5'6" and I'd better give out expression of 'Don't try' before got into trouble. It works.

But I also hot-tempered and challenged big guys for fight before, because they tried to threaten me and other girlfriends. I've no much defence skill, but I got loud voice and I was really angry that time. I guess anger blinds good sense.
But it worked. Few times in different situation. Apparently some big guys only dare to intimidate those who can't fight back.
Not so recomended though, if there is other way, because you can get into trouble.
But sometimes, I didn't have other better choices.

Apparently some big guys only dare to intimidate those who can't fight back.
Exactly, they are predators and looking for prey. They don't want to get hurt they intend to take what they want and leave. Most will move on if you look/act like you'll make them work to take what they want.

Several years ago I had an incident with 5 guys that were quite a bit bigger than me at a mall that wasn't in a great area (actually it's torn down now because nobody would go there). I was walking with my boyfriend (not a big guy himself) and one of them made some sort of comment in our direction. I turned and moved toward them, I was NOT in the mood and I said, "You got a problem with me?" (my boyfriend was whispering "Shut up, shut up they're going to kill us." as he followed me). The guys didn't know what to think of me advancing toward them and were speechless until I said, "Why don't we step outside." That's the point where one assumed a submissive posture and said, "It's cool, it's cool." So I said ok and moved on.

People who are crazy on drugs can be incredibly strong and dangerous, criminals understand that just as well as the cops do. Cops have to deal with them but criminals tend to avoid them so I just work on appearing crazy :D

Are you sure thats just appearance and not reality Ber? :p

Are you sure thats just appearance and not reality Ber? :p

Ummmm :eyebrow: I'll never tell :D

Appear to be crazy or on drug.. never tried that before..
good idea.. :D

Normally for those random comment etc I would just ignore them or give a very ugly look and treat them as they are not there. It happens too often that I don't feel bothered anymore.

But I lost patience if some guys just like to show their teeth when they see weaker opponents or walk into my territory with no good intention.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom