Crickets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How did you get into technical diving?
What is your favorite technical dive? (if you have a favorite rec dive that's cool to add in too)
Any future goals with technical diving?
What is one piece of equipment you really want?

How? I dropped into the cavern at Morrison Springs, got hooked, then started my search for gear and training.

No idea what my favorite technical dive is??... It was pretty awesome discovering a new cave system and begin laying the original line in it last weekend. I wouldn't call it my best dive, it wasn't, but it was exhilirating... I can gaurantee my favorite dive would have been in a cave, with no park benches anywhere around. I wouldn't be able to narrow it down from there.

Future goals? Keep doing it safely. Complete a full survey and lining at my new cave, get flow information, water samples, and detail as much information about it as possible. Keep finding new sites. My original goal for this year was(is) to dive a cave outside of Florida. I still plan to make that goal, and possibly dive two different non-Floridian state's caves.

Piece of gear I want? I'm not really a gear hound... don't need the latest and greatest... A drysuit might be OK at times though :) LOL

I got into technical diving because of my love of wrecks. I wanted to be able to explore them safely so I worked my way through to trimix. I use many of the skills I learned in technical diving while diving "single tank recreational dives"and I think it has made me a better diver.
My next step is to switch to a rebreather and I will start my training this summer.
I have been fortunate to have made several wonderful dives but I think my favourite remains the Zenobia in Cyprus. I made my first dive on her as a recreational diver 10 years ago and have been back at least 30 times since (did a lot of my tech training on her)

Do you mean that diving a homemade MCCR into caves, deep and trying never to surface without an appreciable amount of deco is Technical diving? Gee, I thought it was just fun diving.

Dale

Do you mean that diving a homemade MCCR into caves, deep and trying never to surface without an appreciable amount of deco is Technical diving? Gee, I thought it was just fun diving.

Dale

I think you where within PADI marketing scheme until you added homemade mCCR:rofl3:

I think you where within PADI marketing scheme until you added homemade mCCR:rofl3:

Just give them time. If they think there's a buck to be made they will move mountains. Remember nitrox, cavern, cave, techrec.

Dale

What is your favorite technical dive? (if you have a favorite rec dive that's cool to add in too)

How did you get into technical diving? When I was about 6 years old my family took me to Homosassa Springs to see the manatees and on the way out I saw a brochure that caught my eye (You know those tourist brochure boards they have in places like that). It was for Ginnie Springs and had a section about diving the caves. I was fascinated by it and my love of caves started at that point. I wrote school reports about cave diving, I annoyed my family for years bugging them to get my scuba cert to no avail. My family thought OW was "Too dangerous" no matter how much I tried to convince them otherwise. When I turned 18 I went and got my OW as a means to dive in caves and worked 2 jobs to pay for training and equipment. I practiced the frogkick and my buoyancy on every dive I did. I did my Cavern/Intro and fell on some tough times and ended up in NorCal (where there are no UW caves :depressed:) I had to sell a lot of my stuff and was even homeless in Oakland for a couple of months. Now that I'm getting everything back together, I'm planning on finishing my full cave cert back in cave country after my wedding this winter.

What is your favorite technical dive? My favorite would have to be the first penetration I did for my Intro class. It was at Madison Blue and I think its my favorite so far because it was so surreal. I had been building it up my whole life and it was everything I had hoped. Given that I have limited technical dives under my belt, I don't have much to compare it to... but I can't see much overtaking that experience for me.

Any future goals with technical diving? I want to finish my full cave cert.

What is one piece of equipment you really want? I would like to get in to a megladon rebreather

Oh, I forgot to list the one piece of equipment I really want -- I want a suit heater!

My wife made me do it...really! I was happy with reefs and wrecks. She wanted to dive caves. So we took a cavern course. I was hooked during that course. I haven't looked back since!

I'm not big on the deep dives. Eagle's Nest was cool, but I'd rather spend 2 hours diving and 30 minutes decompressing than the other way around. I like to just get on my scooter and cruise around the passages in Jackson Blue or Hole in the Wall and learn the caves. It sucks to have to start heading out.

Rebreather diving. It's in the horizon...just as soon as I can afford the rebreather!

A rebreather!
Rob if you get a ccr unit we will never get you out of a cave :D

rob if you get a ccr unit we will never get you out of a cave :d

:d :d :d :d :d :d :d :d :d :d :d

No, Rob and I have the same problem. We have to come out of the water to work, in order to afford to get back in the water :)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom