Cressi Mini Gauge (SPG) Depth Incorrect?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OliveDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there,
Writing to see if anybody has any advice about a problem we have with two Cressi mini gauge SPGs. Both are less than a year old, bought new. Used in Jamaica over December with no issues. Used in Hawaii this past April, and for some reason both of the SPGs were really off at the surface for depth readings. At depth (45-60 feet) they were within 5 feet of our computers (Suuntos) but at our safety stop they would read around 20 feet instead of 15 feet, and at the surface they were reading off, reading that we were still underwater by 5-15 feet. Now, back at the mainland, not hooked up to anything, one reads a depth of 5 feet and one reads a depth of 10. We believe the air gauges for both remained accurate.

Thoughts? Is anyone aware of an easy fix for this issue? I can't explain why it would happen to both regulators that are brand new. We have a dive trip planned for next month.

????? SPG's measure tank pressure not depth. What are you talking about? Can you show a picture or at least give a model number?

My guess is that the OP is referring to a 2 gauge console Cressi Mini Pressure Gauge
and does not realize that the 2 instruments are unrelated (except for being jammed into the same piece of black rubber).

That said - i suggest that the OP ignore their mechanical depth gauge in the console and use the depth provided by their computer. You have a computer so no need for a second much less accurate instrument. So just stop looking at it.

You could also consider tossing the console and just going with a bare spg. Search the board and you will find threads about this. I used my bare plastic SPG for years with no issues after I tossed my huge heavy console. When I was replacing my hoses last year I finally upgraded to a glass and brass SPG.

P.S. There is the possibly that you allowed some salt / sand to build up inside the console under the depth gauge? That may affect the performance of the depth gauge? But I am unsure on this...

How well did you rinse / soak / clean your gear after your saltwater dives?

Thanks guys, yes I’m talking about the depth gauge on the console, the SPG component works fine.

It’s possible there is sand or grit, we soaked them every night on both trips but it’s possible. Not sure what to do about it if that’s the case.

I’m interested in the idea of ignoring the gauge altogether; I hadn’t thought about that but since we have computers it is just a built in redundancy. I’ll look at the threads recommended about depth-gauge free consoles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom