Creepy things found diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clive francis:
way to go!

it happened 60 years ago, more than enough time has passed to forgive and forget.

he could have family that would like closure on what has happened.

the least you could have done was report it!

the world will never move forward with small town attitudes like that!!!
I think thats a bit harsh , don't you ?
I too wish that he reported it , or at least reporting the tail numbers or markings because the pilot was likly just a guy following "duty" and may have had family, but ... I can certantly understand the reason for not doing so, especially if you or your family was affected WWII

DB

PADiver as a jew I understand your position. But most soldiers (especially air officers) had little to do with the holocaust. He should be treated as any enemy combatant and by the Geneva convention should be allowed a normal burial. I would politely request that you try to find his coordinates and report it to whoever you can. You can help someone find happiness.

I have seen alot of posts on here about finding weapons and bodies, or body parts. Here is my 2 cents. I'm a diver with the local SAR unit and have had training to do this sort of thing. We treat EVERYTHING! as a crime scene. Human nature would allow us to belive that this "person" just drown or what not. But in reality you could be looking at a victims final resting place. Thats why I would say to all of you who find things like this underwater to get as good of a postion of it as you can, leave everything as it was and notify authorites. You can give them pertinent info such as depth, postion of the body, water temp. If you have a camera take some pictures, just try not to disturb or remove anything. As far as guns go leave them be and notify authorites, depending on the shape they are in they can pull fingerprints even after they are in the water, but if you expose them to air yo will lose that. The need to be collected in the same water they were found in.

Just my 2 cents

clive francis:
way to go!

it happened 60 years ago, more than enough time has passed to forgive and forget.

Two great uncles lost, one grandfather - no forgiveness there... And it's not the time - it's the magnitude of the act... Atta had a family too...

lord1234:
PADiver as a jew I understand your position. But most soldiers (especially air officers) had little to do with the holocaust. He should be treated as any enemy combatant and by the Geneva convention should be allowed a normal burial. I would politely request that you try to find his coordinates and report it to whoever you can. You can help someone find happiness.

I doubt that reporting it to local authorities would help... Actually some of the Baltic countries might hail him as a saving hero nowadays...

It probably is harsh.. But that's the way it will be... His "grave" site will never be diturbed - even if reported - again Geneva convention... Simply, as of right now it is not known to the public that's all...

If you would want to find those types of ships/planes etc. - Baltic and Black seas are great for it... We are putting a group together for next year... To dive - and may be record...

clive francis:
way to go!

Forgive - may be... FORGET?!!! - NEVER!

What else should we forget??? It's part of me, just like Sept. 11th - it's a scar that cannot be forgotten - hurts too much - and time does not dull the pain...

Gregoire:
I have seen alot of posts on here about finding weapons and bodies, or body parts. Here is my 2 cents. I'm a diver with the local SAR unit and have had training to do this sort of thing. We treat EVERYTHING! as a crime scene. Human nature would allow us to belive that this "person" just drown or what not. But in reality you could be looking at a victims final resting place. Thats why I would say to all of you who find things like this underwater to get as good of a postion of it as you can, leave everything as it was and notify authorites. You can give them pertinent info such as depth, postion of the body, water temp. If you have a camera take some pictures, just try not to disturb or remove anything. As far as guns go leave them be and notify authorites, depending on the shape they are in they can pull fingerprints even after they are in the water, but if you expose them to air yo will lose that. The need to be collected in the same water they were found in.

Just my 2 cents

Good advice from Gregoire. I am on a state underwater criminal investigations unit and have recovered dozens of weapons used in serious crimes such as robberies and murders. Don't touch but mark the guns. Don't try to render them safe by manipulating the action, etc. This alters the evidence. There are strict protocols on collecting evidence such as guns and bodies in water. The most helpful course of action is to mark the location and contact law enforcement. I promise you there is an investigator that REALLY wants this evidence. As far as I am concerned, locating a gun used in a murder is the ultimate easter egg hunt. Nothing makes me happier than locating the "golden egg" that will put a needle in a killers arm on death row.

Heads Up:
Don't blame the local diver for not using the gear - that is the Mary Celeste of all diving stories!!

Cheers for the posting - that'll buy me a couple of drinks at my next club meeting!

Cheers
But the Mary Celeste was used again, though it was deemed a ghost ship.

Vialias Pool (spelling?) In New Hampshire -- it's a private swimming hole. I was snorkeling and found a dead cow on the bottom.

Roak

PAdiver93:
time does not dull the pain...

Beyond forgiving or forgetting - conflicts need to be resolved.

I believe that being close to tragedy can make an individual an exellent witness and advocate for a detailed, close-up view on the true face of horror, the process of grief, mechanics and human costs of injustice and the very real pain of victims and relatives. These are things that cannot be ignored in any attempt to mediate a conflict. They're valuable experiences and indicators something is definately wrooong.

Still, being emotionally close to a conflict does not necessarily make one a great mediator of it - which I believe any gang or clan war (or family dispute) will prove. true mediation can only take place from a position of relative neutrality - and is called for whenever the parties are too blinded by emotion to find alternatives to violence.

I think that there is great potential relief in realizing this for those who suffer, because it has to do with an expanding ones perspective on individual tragedy. To some extent limiting tragedy has to do not with forgiving or forgetting but accepting it's place in the world. The alternative is gratification through revenge or eradication of the opponent. Knowing the seething cauldron of human emotion I think its good to know that we do possess alternatives as a species.

To say make one dead pilot a symbol of a greater wrong is to me emotionally understandable and somehow logical. It's also simplistic, and has little to do with the lessons we need to learn from the great wars, and the tools we must apply to avoid repetitions. (Those wars weren't really all that "great" were they ...)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom