Creature from the black lagoon "Gill Man".

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yeah , I'm with you on the "new and improved" thing most times leaving something to be desired

Great work !!
Heh ... wonder if this new "wetsuit" will be good in cold water :wink:

Once the molds are complete I can make this suit for a variety of temperatures. What would you need in SoCal these days? 5/7mm?

---------- Post added December 29th, 2012 at 08:48 AM ----------

.....now where did I put those red/blue glasses so I can fully appreciate these pictures?

I think I have a pair in storage from one of the first aired on TV 3D shows, Im struggling to remember the name of the movie but I have a picture of me when I was like 3 or 4 sitting in front of the TV watching something... I'd love to get my hands on some that were used during the release of this movie.

---------- Post added December 29th, 2012 at 08:49 AM ----------

I eagerly await the next update. Keep up the awesome work!

Thanks! I should have a new part pic today with those process photos available as well :)

Here is the completed mold and new chest piece (first pull so its a little dirty).
20121228_201651.jpg.20121229_120651.jpg20121229_120751.jpg20121229_120950-1.jpg

As one whos artistic skill extends to occasionally making a recognizable stick figure I find watching someone with true talent fascinating. I love the Creature, one of the best movies ever made. Can't wait to see the completion of your project and the reaction videos will be awesome! Now hurry up and get back to work!!! :D

What are you going to do about the mask? How about integrating the regulator? What are you going to do for tanks? I'm unbearably curious, so sorry if I'm asking too many questions.

Either way, the work is looking AWESOME!! I've been making molds for years and can't make anything NEARLY that sexy. Keep it up!

I vote for goggles for eyes! Back mount a 40, many that would be so cool!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What are you going to do about the mask? How about integrating the regulator? What are you going to do for tanks? I'm unbearably curious, so sorry if I'm asking too many questions.

Either way, the work is looking AWESOME!! I've been making molds for years and can't make anything NEARLY that sexy. Keep it up!

I may have answered some of those questions earlier in this thread. In either case I'm about to start tackling that soon. For the tanks I will use 2 x AL19CF setup as doubles mounted to a older style harness no BC. This will help keep a low profile and reduce any camel back appearance... The mask is still up in the air, however I have drawn out several versions that seem to work well on "paper". Most likely it will become a 2 piece with the back half mounted to a skull cap and the front mounted to something similar to the Scubapro full face mask. How the reg will be integrated... Not committed to anything yet. I want the equipment to blend well with the suit not necessarily be 100% invisible lol. I would prefer that the end result be user friendly vs incredibly complicated and hard to put on or repair...

---------- Post added December 30th, 2012 at 07:09 PM ----------

I vote for goggles for eyes! Back mount a 40, many that would be so cool!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back mount 40 was a good guess. The goggles wont work for the same reason the original actor in the underwater scenes (Ricou Browning) didn't use it. Cant get the water out if it floods... Cant equalize the pressure either, ouch... In the movie he wore nothing over his eyes. For me when it comes to salt water, its got to be a mask. It may look like goggle's when i'm done but there will be a mask under it. I plan to mold the mask into the front portion of the head :)

You kind of covered it in earlier posts, but I think you had more detail there. No BCD and doubles-mounted 19's makes sense. Thanks for your additional explanations. Are you planning on making the valves accessible by the diver wearing the suit?

For the reg, you could look at something like the Mares Viper reg with a ball swivel. The Viper is super low profile, the ball swivel would allow tighter hose routing. I'd definitely do braided hoses for that, as well.

I'm glad you're integrating a mask of some kind. I could dive a pool for short periods with no mask. MAYBE even one of the FL Springs for a minute.....but that's about it! I would NOT be okay with paying that kind of money for a suit with no option for a mask! What you might be able to do is (I'm not sure how comfortable this would be) make the Head large enough to allow a mask to fit underneath it, so the "eyes" would be separate from the mask lenses.

BTW Creature fans. If you have Netflix, the original movie is available for instant play for one more day.

You kind of covered it in earlier posts, but I think you had more detail there. No BCD and doubles-mounted 19's makes sense. Thanks for your additional explanations. Are you planning on making the valves accessible by the diver wearing the suit?

For the reg, you could look at something like the Mares Viper reg with a ball swivel. The Viper is super low profile, the ball swivel would allow tighter hose routing. I'd definitely do braided hoses for that, as well.

I'm glad you're integrating a mask of some kind. I could dive a pool for short periods with no mask. MAYBE even one of the FL Springs for a minute.....but that's about it! I would NOT be okay with paying that kind of money for a suit with no option for a mask! What you might be able to do is (I'm not sure how comfortable this would be) make the Head large enough to allow a mask to fit underneath it, so the "eyes" would be separate from the mask lenses.

Thanks for your interest and input! The Mares viper would be a great alternative to the Poseidon reg I have been looking at :) You mentioned tank valve, So I will say that I might mount the tanks upside down on the harness like a commercial rig and expose the valve for easy access - then just run a longer braided hose on the reg with a swivel and locking QD up thru the front of the suit :wink: You vaguely mentioned price in your last post, I have not for several reasons. One of which is, the purpose of this thread is to show how to make your own parts (DIY) and make myself available to answer questions pertaining to this build (how to).

Reactions: D_B

Back
Top Bottom