Creation vs. Evolution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Zealots were one of 4 political parties in ancient Judaea, when it was a Roman province. St. Peter belonged to this group.

The other parties were the Pharisees, the Saducees, and the Essenes.

It is good to be passionate. And it is best to be tolerant of other peoples' passions as well. Everyone is normally passionate about something.

Men are normally passionate about:

drinking;
smoking;
gambling;
sports; and
partying with their friends.

Women are normally passionate about:

shopping;
eating;
talking on the phone; and

[I got that off an Oprah show, once!]

I know who the Zealots were. That makes little difference to its current definition :wink: I was wondering what you were getting at with that post of yours I quoted.

Also I will only tolerate passions that are tolerant themselves.

Hmm and btw, I hate shopping and talking on the phone. I do like drinking, smoking (alas, I had to give that one away unfortunately) and sports though. I really hate breakdowns by gender of those types of things.

I know who the Zealots were. That makes little difference to its current definition :wink: I was wondering what you were getting at with that post of yours I quoted.

Also I will only tolerate passions that are tolerant themselves.

Hmm and btw, I hate shopping and talking on the phone. I do like drinking, smoking (alas, I had to give that one away unfortunately) and sports though. I really hate breakdowns by gender of those types of things.

It was a quote from an Oprah show. I thought it was funny.

It sounds like you have more testosterone than estrogen!

Smoking is the #1 cause of death for most people, especially women. Their lungs are especially vulnerable to it.

Why more testosterone than estrogen? Perhaps just less social shaping than other women? :wink:

I didn't realise it was #1, interesting. How come women's lungs are more vulnerable? But yea, gave it up for health reasons but still miss smoking four years later!

The Zealots were one of 4 political parties in ancient Judaea, when it was a Roman province. St. Peter belonged to this group.

The other parties were the Pharisees, the Saducees, and the Essenes.

It is good to be passionate. And it is best to be tolerant of other peoples' passions as well. Everyone is normally passionate about something.

Men are normally passionate about:

drinking;
smoking;
gambling;
sports; and

Women are normally passionate about:

shopping;
eating;
talking on the phone; and

[I got that off an Oprah show, once!]

Well, I would not consider that absolutely 100% accurate. Where is sex on that list?

Where is diving, for crying out loud?????:D...sheez

Why more testosterone than estrogen? Perhaps just less social shaping than other women? :wink:

I didn't realise it was #1, interesting. How come women's lungs are more vulnerable? But yea, gave it up for health reasons but still miss smoking four years later!
My wife quit smoking 15 years ago and says she still gets the urge, especially when she is around smokers.
My Mother, on the other hand, who smoked passionately for 50 years, had...."an experience" at her church in which giving up vices had been the theme. Said she left the church that night, went to get in her car, smelled her own cigarette smoke and threw up in the parking lot. She became ill at the smell of cigarette smoke till the day she died some 10 years later. Go figure...
Spencer

I didn't realise it was #1, interesting.

Its isn't #1 in all countries; in countries where significant in-roads have been made in reducing smoking among females other cancers tend to be #1. For example, in Canada & the USA it is #1 amoung women, in Australia it is #2, although it is rapidly overtaking breast cancer.

How come women's lungs are more vulnerable? But yea, gave it up for health reasons but still miss smoking four years later!

The reasons why are many, and not well understood. The long and short of it:

1) Sample bias. Women tend to join scientific studies less often than men. As such the sample sizes for women tend to be smaller than for men, leaving a lot more room for error in the female group.

2) Hormonal-based gene expression: Many of our genes are regulated partially by our hormones. Some, like CYP1A1, are expressed more by women than by men. CYP1A1 is a DNA-repair gene, but strangely, higher expression of the gene leads to more DNA damage, as CYP1A1 is sortof an "emergency" repair mechanism that is more error prone than the other options our cells have.

Other DNA repair genes also seem to be regulated differently in women than in men. Not a lot is known about these genes and how they work, but in gross measurements of DNA repair, women generally do more poorly than men.

3) Immune system. Women have, until menopause, a far more active immune system then men. While this goes a long ways to helping babies being born, it has its drawbacks. A more active immune system is more likely to make mistakes - which is why women have far higher rates of autoimmune disease than men. It may also have an effect on cancer rates - one of our immune systems key defence mechanisms is oxygen radicals; highly reactive chemicals that destroy pretty much anything they touch - including DNA. Its been proposed (but not proven) that the increased activity of womens immune systems means that their bodies are exposed to more of these free-radicals, and as such, you get corrispondingly more DNA damage.

OK, maybe that was more the long of it than the short...

Bryan

No problem, Marvel.. That said, where does the quote actually come from?

When I was studying many years ago - let's just say that he was still alive - his work was required reading for me and my friends, mathematicians all. "Principia" WAS required reading, but we eagerly awaited each chapter of his autobiography as it came out. If you haven't read it I commend it to you.

Not really sure, Peter- Perhaps from Why I am not a Christian ironically, it is the 1st chapter opening quote in Purpose Driven Life.

I'll keep an eye out for those books- Barnes & Noble's bargain tables are one of my favorite places to browse for books. Sooner or later just about every book they sell goes on them. :D

... Barnes & Noble's bargain tables are one of my favorite places to browse for books. Sooner or later just about every book they sell goes on them. :D

Exactly!

That is where I got my copies of The Illiad, The Odyssey, The Arabian Nights, Ulysses, and so many others! I love that store!

I wish they would improve their religion section however. It has nothing very sophisticated.

Sophisticated for me means a word-by-word English-Greek translation of the New Testament, or a word-by-word Hebrew-English translation of the Old. Right now you can find that stuff on the Internet, but it would be nice to have a print copy as well.

Its isn't #1 in all countries; in countries where significant in-roads have been made in reducing smoking among females other cancers tend to be #1. For example, in Canada & the USA it is #1 amoung women, in Australia it is #2, although it is rapidly overtaking breast cancer.

The reasons why are many, and not well understood. The long and short of it:

1) Sample bias. Women tend to join scientific studies less often than men. As such the sample sizes for women tend to be smaller than for men, leaving a lot more room for error in the female group.

2) Hormonal-based gene expression: Many of our genes are regulated partially by our hormones. Some, like CYP1A1, are expressed more by women than by men. CYP1A1 is a DNA-repair gene, but strangely, higher expression of the gene leads to more DNA damage, as CYP1A1 is sortof an "emergency" repair mechanism that is more error prone than the other options our cells have.

Other DNA repair genes also seem to be regulated differently in women than in men. Not a lot is known about these genes and how they work, but in gross measurements of DNA repair, women generally do more poorly than men.

3) Immune system. Women have, until menopause, a far more active immune system then men. While this goes a long ways to helping babies being born, it has its drawbacks. A more active immune system is more likely to make mistakes - which is why women have far higher rates of autoimmune disease than men. It may also have an effect on cancer rates - one of our immune systems key defence mechanisms is oxygen radicals; highly reactive chemicals that destroy pretty much anything they touch - including DNA. Its been proposed (but not proven) that the increased activity of womens immune systems means that their bodies are exposed to more of these free-radicals, and as such, you get corrispondingly more DNA damage.

OK, maybe that was more the long of it than the short...

Bryan

Good man!

In the Illiad, a "good man" is one who does not fear the enemy in battle and fights to the finish.

Thanks for the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom