Creation vs. Evolution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would need to first question the sanity of anyone who would leave a multi million dollar sports entertainment job to take one of the lowliest jobs on the planet, and very dangerous. That should answer then your question about what I have heard.

Thus your question then opens the door to the issue of insanity and atheism. And that is a good question.

Wow. He joined the military after 911, went through special forces training, and spent his time in Afghanistan trying to route out Bin Laden's terror network. He gave up millions. He was tragically killed by friendly fire. And you mock him as insane.

A fool’s mouth is his ruin, And his lips are the snare of his soul (Proverbs 18:7)

I would need to first question the sanity of anyone who would leave a multi million dollar sports entertainment job to take one of the lowliest jobs on the planet, and very dangerous. That should answer then your question about what I have heard.

Thus your question then opens the door to the issue of insanity and atheism. And that is a good question.

That must be the most disgusting, mind numbingly offensive, ignorant post I have seen thusfar in this thread. You truly make me sick. :shakehead:

a few years ago. Said I was too old. I run 3 times a week, regularly run in 5 and 10k's and 1/2 marathons. I suspect I was in better shape than many recruits, and, as far as I know I was not insane (no wise cracks about my avatar :)). But, alas, I was not going to give up millions. I can't prove it with scientific data, but I seriously doubt Tillman was insane.

Sanity is oft in the eye of the beholder, but I do think that I'd be moved out of common decency and respect to give Tillman the benefit of the the doubt. There are things that I think are more important than money and he'd found his.

There are some things that cannot be measured by money. Some people feel there are things more important in life than making money. Evidently, Pat Tillman was one of these people who had the courage of his convictions.

This is English too. Can you read it? I can. But it is 14th Century English and has changed a bit to the present day.
Whan that Aprill, with his shoures soote
The droghte of March hath perced to the roote
And bathed every veyne in swich licour,
Of which vertu engendred is the flour;
Whan Zephirus eek with his sweete breeth
Inspired hath in every holt and heeth
The tendre croppes, and the yonge sonne
Hath in the Ram his halfe cours yronne,
And smale foweles maken melodye,
That slepen al the nyght with open eye-
(So priketh hem Nature in hir corages);
Thanne longen folk to goon on pilgrimages
And palmeres for to seken straunge strondes
To ferne halwes, kowthe in sondry londes;
And specially from every shires ende
Of Engelond, to Caunterbury they wende,
The hooly blisful martir for to seke
That hem hath holpen, whan that they were seeke.
Not just the structure of the words themselves, but also the meaning of words. Note the word like "corages" (11 lines down, bolded). The unschooled would read that as "courage" making the sentence out to be: "So pierces them Nature in her courage"

Stephen Knight (as well know Chaucer scholar) writes (Chaucer: The Canterbury Tales; Literature in Context; Rylance, R. and Simons, J. eds.; Palgrave-Macmillan, 2001)
The small birds are the first animals to wake in spring -- as in any morning -- but they too have cultural reference. They are 'smale', which means 'slender' not just small: the word is English, but has French connotations: ladies in romance are 'smale' in body, arms and fingers. Nature excites the birds' romantic love when it 'priketh' their hearts in blunt English, and this implies physicality -- the sexual pun on 'prick' operates in Middle as well as Modern English. But elaboration still exists because it is their 'corages' that are excited, not their 'hearts'. The French word points towards the domain of courtly love, an aristocratic elaboration that Chaucer himself has disseminated in English with his translation of part of The Romance of the Rose and his earlier dream poems about love like The Book of the Duchess. (p. 12).
Start to get the idea? Unfortunately you can not "simply read it." It was only slightly longer from Chaucer to Jefferson than it was from Jefferson to us. You need an intimate knowledge of the language, forms, customs, and traditions of the time to actually understand, with real clarity, what was being said.

Do you want a shorter time frame example? The word "gay" has radically changed in ten to twenty years. A "gay old time" just ain't what it used to be.:D

Bravo! :D

We are going on holiday to the Kruger National Park tomorrow for a seven day holiday. Unfortunately no diving there... the crocs and hippos are not diver friendly and the viz is horrible. :monkeydan

I will be enjoying God's creation but I will keep a lookout for possible signs of evolution since I was there a year ago. If I do find anything I will let you all know when I am back again! :D

Only on Scubaboard. From the small-mindedness of post 5794 to the amazing wit and eloquence of arguably the first work of literature in the English language, all on the same page.

Thal, thanks for the Chaucer, and for raising the bar on that page.

Glad to, we can't always wallow in "country matters."

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom